Gastroenterology Community
undigested yellow corn in stool that is red

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I ate some yellow corn today at lunch, mashed potatoes, fried chicken, and green beans.  I had baked beans, ham, and macaroni and cheese for dinner.  I noticed about three hours after dinner, around 9:30 I had a somewhat loose stool movement and there was undigested yellow corn that had blood red color inside the undigested kernels.  

I have had loose stools many times before, I have been checked with labs in the past year, a scope about six years ago and I have no diagnosed problem due relating to loose stools.  My GI tract is sensitive to certain kinds of fats, runs in the family.  I am shocked and a little worried about what I have seen.  Can you give me some advice before I rush to my family doctor and then on to a specialist.

Thank you

This discussion is related to Red Corn in Stool.
From the Mayo Clinic - "Digestion time varies depending on the individual. For most healthy adults, it's usually between 24 and 72 hours. After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion and absorption of water. Elimination of undigested food residue through the large intestine usually begins after a total of 24 hours. Complete elimination from the body may take several days. "

So it seems strange that it only took three hours to traverse the entire 9 metres of your GI system. Is this a single occurrence? If this has become a consistent occurrence then you should probably approach your doc and see what they think.