unexplained abdominal pain
hi,
iam nineteenand  have been having for 2 months now unexplained pain in my right side of my stomach uner the rib cage. the pain is constant and all day. when the attacks come which i never know when to expect them they come with a vengence and go through to my back not around only through sometimes they hit into the middle of my stomach and then go through the back i have gotten a ct and endoscopy and blood work and every thing thank gd came out negative but the pain is endless and using all my energy. the docotor put me on prevacid thinking it was ulcears and lefsin for spasms the prevacid didnt do a thing the lefsin only help for 20ish min. along with the pain comes symptoms of naseau, car sickness which i never had before, loss of appetite and weight, extra saliva that i always have to spit out and not being able to anymore sleep through the night anymore. is there any advice from anyone of what this maybe?any help will be appreciated thank you in advance
My surgery for tomorrow got canceled due to the fact that my insurance doesnt think I need the surgery and they cannot get a hold of my doctor. I am SO frustrated!! Does anyone know what I can do to make them approve it? I seriously cant catch a break.
thank you so much for responding so quickly and for all the research that you are putting in to end my misery. just one question? didnt i get that ERCP done when i got the endoscopy? i dont want to have that again it was a really bad feeling and i woke up miserable and in pain, and was vommiting for the rest of the day a few times which is very unheard of according to the doctor. thanks also for the links they really make things easier for me. my parents said they are going to be taking action and calling the doctor i know im just another patient but its been 1/4 of a yr and i know thats a short amount of time but im really misearble.

Tulipp27: thank you very much for caring for me it is very very annoying and thankful that everything comes back normal and i would be fine with that if the pain would go away the pain has intensified over the last few days and im not sleeping anymore a whole night which is really needed in my case. i had the same issues as you regarding everything coming back normal and basically the same exams except i didnt bothering getting an MRI after the CAT SCAN, they thought they saw a cyst and sent me to the gynechologist but everything was normal. i am just going out of my mind right now. i will keep everyone posted thank you all for caring so much.
Juliagulia87: I was going to wish you good luck on your surgery tomorrow and i hope this brings you the relief you were looking for and no more pain but now i see your new post and this is not good. what insurance do you have. why did they do it so abruptly they knew you were getting surgery for sometime now i imagine call the doctor and if you cant get a hold of him let the answering service know that its sort of emergency. i feel for you.
thank you all who have been here supporting me and helping me through this rough mysterious patch in my life. i really do appreciate it. will let you know of any changes or results. also im getting a colonoscopy this coming monday i hope maybe this can help somewhat
thank you
ERCP is done only when a blockage in the bile tract is suspected, so I doubt they did it on your previous endoscopy. ERCP is never done during a routine endoscopy.

If they "ruled out" the gallbladder, this does not include the bile tract. Ultrasound can't detect small stones or stenosis in bile ducts.

Where is your pain now, does the location change?
i spoke wth my parents and they decided that they want me to go through with the colonoscopy bc maybe it could rule out some stuff. they never ruled out the gallbladder. the pain is in the same place but just lately more increasingly painful. i have no appetite and have had in exchange nothing to eat all day. i do not know what to do i am waiting(again) for the doctor to call me back so that i could let him know that i have a new symptom of discolored diarhea. thank you though for the advise i really appreciate it and take it all with me when i go to the checkups with my doctor. the pain is under my rib cage on the right side and it shoots sometimes through to the middle of the stomach and sometimes to the back where it literally jolts me in pain. i am trying my best to hold my own
thank you once again
taliaes,
her is my opinion:

I don't see the reason why you'd need the colonoscopy at this moment. Not even one symptom goes with some colonic disease.

Discolored diarrhea is from BLOCKAGE IN THE BILIARY SYSTEM, it is definitely not from the colon.

Here are your symptoms:
thick saliva, car sickness, occasional vomiting, right upper abdominal pain and discolored diarrhea.

You have to finish the gallbladder part of investigation first. All symptoms and all your history speak for gallbladder. Again - gallblader itself may be pretty intact, but the narrow bile ducts can be easily blocked with a small stone or fibrosis or tumor. This usually CAN'T be detected with ultrasound, CT, MRI, maybe not even with HIDA, but with ERCP.

Please, can you go and get that HIDA scan? Can you? Go personally there and demand it.

***YOU ARE IN URGENT SITUATION, you can't lose time now.*** Go to the hospital, go somewhere, where you will trust doctors.
i got the HIDA scan already
What was a result of HIDA scan?
they never informed me
hi whats going on with you did you end up getting your surgery how are you feeling??
taliaes,

I know you had the HIDA scan, but what's the use if you don't know results. In your situation you can't afford to wait that they will call you. It's you who should call or visit them. Explain them your pain.
i am calling this afternoon, although everytime i call they just send me for another few tests that all come out negative they dont care im basically another patient the doctor cares but he doesnt get on the phone the PA does and she really doesnt care
Just insist. Threat them that you and all your family (say 20 people) will come there and make a scene. This usually helps. If it can't work by phone, go there personally and take your father or someone with you and don't leave without results in your hand. HIDA scan may show blockage in biliary tree.
i called this afternoon to let them know of the new symptom and of constant pain that im having which is not getting any better. they told me if i want i can come in for a visit or i should go to the ER which i am trying to avoid so they made an appt for mon morn, where the doctor will give me his time and really re-evaluate the situation. thank you though for being so concerned though. i cant threaten they will tell me to go somewhere if i do i will let you know if anything changes and what happens on monday
when i asked what the results are for the HIDA scan they told me that when i come in they will discuss them with me
hi, so i said i would update after monday and i was very out of it yeasterday from the anestisia. so i ended up having a colonoscopy because they wanted to rule out anything over there. he said he thought he saw some inflammation possibly so they took a biopsy i will get the results in a week or so. they put me on pain killers bc i was crying with how much pain i am suffering from. i will start them tonight so i will keep everyone informed if its working or not. he wanted to do another test about blockages but then decided that it would probably come out negative so decided not to put me through that torture again. i am going to see a nutritionist to see if my eating habits effect it in any way. i dont think so but if it will make the doctor and my parents happy and possibly the pain go away then im willing to give anything a shot!
juliagulia87: how are you doing? did you end up getting surgery? how are you feeling?
the doctor doesnt know what to think anymore he doesnt know if its the gallbladder or anything else ill just have to wait and see i have another appointment with him in 3 weeks to see if there were are any changes
thank you to anybody who is reading this/responding or taking an interest i really appreciate it!
Even if there was inflammation in the colon, this does not explain colorless stools. Colorless stools are possible only if there is blockage of bile flow or if there is bacteria overgrowth (you've said you had breath test for this and it was negative).

right upper abdominal pain
colorless stools

Mention these two symptoms to anyone, there is a $16 to pay for doctors opinion on the expert part of this forum, or mention this to any other doctor. It's unbelievable how they all just skip what it should be checked: BILE DUCTS.

Ant taliaes - what was the result of HIDA?

Bile ducts can be also checked with MR (magnetic resonance) cholangiagraphy. This is done without endoscopy. Ask for this option, instead of ERCP.
i got the results when i went for the colonoscopy he looked at them and told me they were normal. i told the doctor about the ERCP and he said he doesnt think thats what it is. he is taking alot into account he said he wants to see if this medecine will work if it does fine if it doesnt then he will do further tests when i come back to see him in 3 weeks. my breathe test was negative.i tried the other form where you pay and all i basically got was i am on the right track but should speak to the doctor cuz this doctor online didnt examine me even though i wrote out my while history. thank you again
It is true, that doctor who examines you, has the last word.

If you by any chance develop skin itcing, jaundice or dark colored urine, please note that this is from blocked bile entering the blood and then skin and urine. This is possible only from blocked bile flow.

Negative HIDA scan doesn't mean, that bile ducts are OK. If ERCP is not accceptable for you, MRI of bile ducts can be an alternative.

Glad to see your hanging in there.  I just wanted to tell you that my gastro. office called and got some more of my blood work back. The Dr. is seeing me on  the 15th of Apr. apparently something came up where he is sending me to a endocrinologist hope I spelled that right. And to California to get an EUS.  Im not sure which test it was since they did about 30 but I can tell you more next tues.  I dont know if we have the same thing but it sounds a lot a like. Good luck
hey

Sorry its taken me so long to reply, its been a long couple of weeks. My insurance denied my surgery because there is no evidence of gallstones. So i have to appeal it. Its pretty frustrating seeing as its been more than a year now and I still cant eat without feeling sick. Also my GI doctor has been out of town the entire time this has been going on so I havent even been able to ask him what to do. I started taking these new supplements called A F Beta food because it is supposed to get bile flowing and stuff. We'll see if that does anything. Other than that my primary doctor told me to ask the GI about a problem with the sphincter of oddi because that can cause the problems i am having. Hopefully everything is going better. You might need to start asking your dr. to check for rare things because your tests are all coming back normal.
I'm glad you've reported your case here. No stones in gallbladder does not mean that everything is OK with the bile system.

gallbladder: stones, inflammation without stones, functional problems
bile ducts: stenosis, fibrosis, tumor...
spincter of Oddi dysfunction
derranged production of cholecystokinin (CKK)
increased symphatetic activity of gallbladder/bile ducts autonomic nerves

Any above - and possibly other - causes may result in "typical" gallbladder symptoms, which are not necessary from primary gallbladder disease, but from other parts of bile system or from hormonal or neural control of bile system. Totally different diagnostic is needed for each of them. So, ultrasound and HIDA negative do not rule gb disease out completely. Especially bile ducts are overlooked many times.
Hey,
I haven't heard from you in awhile so just wondering how its going. I'm seeing a new dr. tomorrow who specializes in ERCP's and endoscopic ultrasounds so we'll see how it goes. Give me an update on how youre doing.

Julie
hey thank you so much i really appreciate it. what happen was that i posted a post early in april and they lost it and i never had time to sit down and write it all up again. basically my colonoscopy against my will of getting it done was normal. and the doc doesnt know whats causing this so he sent me to a nutritionist thinking its my eating and what i am lacking. they are trying all diffrent types of diets(i am not near over weight) but they are trying to cut out food to see if it will make me better. but nothing is working. i just tried 5 days of no dairy and no diet soda which the soda i only drink very little of and once a week and eating more often more-im a very picky eater and nothing seems to be working. i am going to see the doc on thur i dont know if he is going to. i feel like its a waste of time. he took me off pain medecine which he origanally put me on bc it made my toungue numb im at a loss right now. my parents are thinking of finding a second doc although this one is very good but he cant come up with anything and i want to get rid of this pain. thank you so much for asking though, good luck with your doc.
Second doc is a good idea. On the first place, mention light colored stools (even if it gone away until now), that is by far the most informative symptom. Normal doctor will know what to do.
why is that the most important symptom? isnt the pain and the area where it is the most important? i was in a load of pain this week and since i am off the meds i couldnt really do anything but it got to the point where i had to take the meds even though im not suppose to!!
Yes, pain under the right rib cage is important information, it speaks for gallbladder or liver problem.

Hey, taliaes, can you write down somewhere this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Symptoms:
- pain under the right rib cage
- pale/yerllow diarrhea

Light colored (pale, yellow) stool means that there is not enough bile in the stool and there are only two possible reasons for this:
1. blockage of bile flow due to gallbladder/ bile ducts or liver disorder
2. overgrowth of bacteria in small inbtestine  

Since you've had right sided pain, option 1. (gallbladder/bile ducts) problem is much more possible than bacterial overgrowth. Unique test which shows bile flow is HIDA scan, which you've said you had it, but you've never posted about results.

YOUR PROBLEM IS LIKELY IN YOUR GALLBLADDER, or BILE DUCTS or maybe in tissues pressing from outside to BILE DUCT. Your problem is not likely in colon or small intestine, or stomach.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find a reliable doctor, tell him your history with accent on what I have written above. Every decent doctor should know that pale stool + right sided upper abdominal pain goes with bile flow problem.
Girl, I've read your posts and i feel for you but take yourself to the emergency room. I was having severe pain just like that, but i wasnt about to wait for my Doc to get off his rear-end, and they gave me those same tests that you had and i got the results right then and there. There was no waiting. Of course my problem turned out to be gall stones. huge ones, but they yanked out the gall bladder i went home the next day, the majority of the pain was gone in a couple of days.
sorry i thought i posted the hida scan came back lear
the doctor is trying to do everything in his power 2 help me but cnt seem to figure out whats wrong
i meant clear
No, you haven't posted any results.
sorry i thought i did i guess it didnt go through a couple of them didnt. the test came back negative
Be sure that your (new) doctor will see the document with HIDA scan result.
just out of curiosity cuz i am not understanding why would it matter if the doc sees me hida scan and not all the other tests that i took. if it came back negative/clear why would it matter?
Because your current doctors made some weird decisions and it doesn't look they know what they are doing. Well, any new doctor will probably get all your documentation, I was only not sure, how this papers travel at your place from doctor to doctor.  
ok thank you for the concern i really appreciate it. i am going to the doc tomorrow one last time to see if he can do anything for me and if not then between getting a new doc and trying my own experiments maybe something good will come out of it. i dont know if i wrote the earlier but i went off dairy thinking i might be lactose intolerant and it didnt work at all!!
Look, taliaes, it won't help you to make diet trials for lactose intolerance and celiac and alergy and so on.

You said you have
- pale diarrhea
- URQ pain
- thick saliva

Combination of these three symptoms goes ONLY with bile flow problem, which may arise from:
1- liver
2- gallbladder
3- bile duct
4- pancreas
5- tissue surrounding bile duct and pressing on it

All your three symptoms suggest ONLY to above causes, NOT to colon, small intestine, gaster disease, and NOT to lactose intolerance, celiac or allergy.
Hey so i saw the new doctor and he didnt really have a whole lot to say but on friday im having an endoscopic ultrasound. They put you completely out for it and its a good test to see how the actual organs are on an ultrasound. Ask your dr. about this or about Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. The only problem is the testing for this causes pancreatitis a lot so they dont like doing it. Ask for different meds if youre in pain. Vicodin works wonders. You can hide it in food if you cant swallow the whole thing. Good luck with everything, i know its frustrating.

Julie
hey i hope that this test finds whatever it needs to and doesnt cause any additional problems. I am going to see a doctor that my GI reccomended me to he specializes in unknown pain of my area or something to that extent. I dont think the doctor will give me that test cuz they feel like they gave me so many others that came out clear. they wanted to do the endoscopy where i swallow a pill and it has a camera inside or something but i cant swallow pills so thats out of the question. my doctor gave me a higher dosage of pain killers cuz i broke down crying to him telling him i cant take it and if it was up to me and i knew what i was doing i would take something and cut that area out. going to the ER is out of the question. they gave me the HIDA scan which also if i remember correctly check how the organs work so whats the diffrence. i'll let you know in a week from now when i go to this new doc how it went. thanks for updating me and good luck to you!!
hi, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. so basically i went back to the doc and he doesnt know what is causing the pain but doesnt think its anything dangerous so he put me on pain killers and up-ed the dosage and then in a couple of months he is going to slowy try to take me off of it basically if i dont take the med i cant live, sleep and i have absolutely no appetite i can have a cucumber for supper and be full for the night with alot of nasea and pain. he then went and sent me to another doc who he thinks can handle my situation better. i dont really like this new doc but i am still giving him a shot cuz its my last hope. and this doc doesnt think it has to do based on all the tests that have been done with my organs but he thinks it has to be with my nerves so he put me after examining me on meds called neurotin-which is what someone takes when you have shingles and he is also pushing acupuncture-thats his sell though. he thinks i should still stay on the pain medicine and on tiop this med. as well. i dont know what to do my parents are very very against me taking this new med. it has very scary side effects. also besides the fact that i hate needles i dont think accupuncture will help me any. just wanted to hear anyones opinion on this whole situation thanks for all listening to me!!!  
100% against.

Talies, you have your intuition which works, you have smart parents (send them my congrats), and you stick with these lousy, greedy useless doctors!
what did i do wrong i do not understand. my parents sent me to these doc i dont choose them
You were asking for comments on suggested procedures.

I'm against proposed acupuncture, and pain killers will not solve a thing. This doctor obviously just want to earn from you. You said you had bad feeling about this doctor, this is your feeling, which you should consider and listen to it. I guess your parents want you the best and give you advices according to what comes in their mind. It is OK to listen all parties. I'm trying to help to understand you what is hapening with you.

Doctor you trust in, is a must.
i just didnt trust him in the way he was telling me i should get accupuncture he didnt say it was a must but he was saying that it might alleviate the pain with the other meds he put me on. my original GI that i have been seeing for 6 months sent me to him and he knows that he is considered a well know doctor. the pain killers i have been on since mid april when i just couldnt take the extent of the pain and needed some relief. thank you so much for your opinion it really means alot i was just wondering if i should be taking this new med which is a cure for shingles and kills out my nerves in my stomach area where it hurts its called neurontin
Taliaes, my personal opinion about taking this drug is - no. Not because of the drug itself, but because this may mask all your problems, and it just doesn't lead anywhere.
hey,

wow its been awhile! so pretty much i had that test and of course came back normal. Now i am seeing a specialist at USC medical center and they are giving me an ERCP to check for sphincter of oddi dysfunction. Ask your doc abiut that. I hope youre feeling better.
hi i know its been awhile and i havent been on but here is the latest updat i think since i have been on of me. the doc thought that i had shingles and put me on neuronton which didnt alleviate the pain but made me loose alot and made me more nauseous than before so after a month of horror i went back and he took me off of it. then he wanted me to try accupunture and my parents at this point were willing to try anything to make me feel better so they gave it a shot and besides the fact that i got 30 needles all over my body and then heat for 1/2 hr it didnt do a thing for my pain. so the doctor sent me for an mri of my thorasic spine he thought that there might be something pushing on it and wanted to see so i went for the mri and the results for a change were there but it had nothing to do with my stomach i have a tumor and cyst both benine and no where near my pain on my spine is the cyst and very close to it is the benine tumor so they sent me for an asap neurologist appt and he thoruoghly checked me out and he said he wants to watch to see if the tumor is getting bigger but its not on the same nerve path as my stomach issue and he suggests that i go back to the doctor and see what he says and thats where i am standing right now cuz i havent gone back yet sorry its been so long since i updated i hope that all of you who are going through the same or similar pain get better soon and that you dont have the same issue as me where all the results thank G-d come back negative but still dont know why there is pain also i am still on a pain killer every night for my stomach thats the only way i alleviate some pain. im trying to cut it less and less but some days its terrible and i feel like i cnt live through that day!! thank you for listening to me and for all those who responded in the past or will respond thank you as well
hi i was just wondering if anyone is still reading this and can give me some insight i know it has been a while but i was still hoping!! have a good night
Hi there
I've just discovered this stream, I've had pain in my upper right abdoment for 18 months now. So many tests and scans but nothing can be found. Took tramadol all this time, now switching to gabapentin/zyban mix for 'chronic pain'. I've had two colonoscopies,my appendix removed and a road trip round my organs, still nothing. Had a gallbladder scan and finally a hida scan which said that ejection fraction of gallbladder was 'abnormal' but the surgeon said that the level was normal. They are now refrring me to another guy, so that's three specialists/surgeons on the case now and I'm still suffering every day. I did think food made the pain worse. I'm gluten/wheat and starch free.  One day this just started, and its never gone away. There are so many people on the net with the same symptoms but there are so many who don't have answers.
How are you now? Are you still unwell? I feel foryou, I know this was a long time ago now but I hope over time they have managed to resolve things for you
:)
Wow. This is EXACTLY how I am. I am 18 and it just feels like every time I eat anything I get these attacks, like you explained. I can hardly ever even attend my college classes anymore because of them. I too went to the hospital and they couldn't give me any answers. They just kept telling me "Your tests are completely normal, and scans. You are a very healthy young lady!" I am so frustrated. I don't know what to do anymore. I may get 3 hours of good sleep a night and the rest is just painful and restless. As I'm writing this I can feel an attack coming on, and I know its going to be a rough night already! >_<
Just read this post.  My daughter is 16.  She has constant pain in her abdomen right above her belly button.  It never goes away, but sometimes it gets worse. This has been going on since June of this year.  Now she has constant headaches to go along with this.  She has had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, ultrasound of her gall bladder, kidneys, and liver, movement test, and, most recently, a CT of her abdomen.  She also had an MRI of her head.  ALL results were normal.  We had to take her out of school, she stopped all her dance classes, and now barely gets out of the house at all.  Needless to say, we are all frustrated.  I was surprised to find this many others with similar symptoms.  What can it be?