Gastroenterology Community
unexplained bloating and pain under right rib cage

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Like many people on this forum i have been suffering since April 2012 with severe bloating and pain under my right rib cage. The pain becomes more prominent and uncomfortable after i have eaten.I can only describe the feeling of bloatedness as sore,burning sensation like a balloon about to burst. The pain under my ribs however is as if someone is poking a sharp object into me?? At times it takes my breath away.......i feel it pretty much all of the time but more so after food intake.i take laranoprazole 30mg a day....this takes a little pressure from the top of my tummy away although unsure its doing anything else.Its really getting me down now as i have been to my gp a number of times to the point i was made an emergency to hospital. I have had 2 ultra sounds (findings were: slightly dialated bile duct-dr thought i had passed a stone hence pain,2nd ultra sound showed slight thickenning of gallbladder wall? a ct scan showed nothing-although one member of the clinical team told me the gallbladder was slightly distended?...i have also had an endoscopy where i was diagnosed with oesophagitus (bearing in mind i had been violently sick 2 days before the procedure) fobbed off with above meds and told to take mebeverine (doesnt do anything now stopped).all my bloods have been tested all fine. I know this isnt all in my mind,i have a referal for a second opinion in 3 wks......... i feel very let down and my treatment in hospital was appauling! I just want to know what is going on and why i have this constant bloatedness and pain under my right ribs? can anyone familiarise with any of my symtoms (symptoms)?

This discussion is related to Bloated, burping and general stomach area soreness.
You have fairly typical biliary symptoms and have been shown to have several abnormalities in the biliary system. First question is why in the world did it take a visit to the ER to finally get an ultrasound when you had clssic symptoms on presentation to your PCP? It is very likely that this relates to your gallbladder as the majority of other things have been ruled out. You need a functional test to get some firm evidence. This would be a HIDA scan done with the infusion of CCK which gives your gallbladder a signal to contract. It is the contraction that is measured. A warning though, if it really is your gallbladder you may well have your symptoms reproduced in a dramatic fashion.