unusual timing of upper quadrant pain
For the past 6 nights, at whatever time I wake up to go to the bathroom (anywhere from 4am-7am) I awaken with pain just under the ribs, a little to the right of midline.  It lasts consistently until roughly 30 min. after I wake up in the morning. The pain is not sharp or shooting, and does not radiate, but is of moderate strength. I returned from 9 days in Portugal the day before the pain started, so thought it might be parasites.  I have chronic back pain from bulging and herniated discs, CFS, and fibromyalgia on and off, but have been particularly achey all over for the past few days.  Any ideas?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possible causes that may need to be considered include GI infections, inflammations, gastritis, GERD, GI motility issues, dietary causes, neuro-muscular causes, chest wall inflammation, costochondritis, hormonal/ endocrine issues, micronutrient deficiencies, growths/ masses etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Wow...that's a lot of possibilities....now it's been 9 days, with exactly the same symptom, only when I wake up from sleep and then disappears.  At a friend's suggestion, who is a nurse, I took advil to see if it was inflammation, but there was no change.  Thanks for your response.