Gastroenterology Community
upper abdominal pain - spasms
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

upper abdominal pain - spasms

I am fairly healthy eater and social drinker. I have gastritis and esophagitis and take Dexilant daily, which has been under control for months with no problems. Just last week I woke up with a stomach ache that progressively got worse and more intense throughout the day. The ache turned into these attacks every 15 minutes or so where my entire stomach had this sharp sword-like stabbing feeling, almost spasming... like a charlie horse or something, but sharper and in the upper middle part of my abdomen. This would let up a bit and then suddenly an even sharper, more intense attack 15 minutes later. After hours of excruciating, tumbled over, screaming, contraction-like pain, I was rushed to the ER where they admitted me overnight. It was about 12 hours before the pain let up. My GI doctor did an upper endoscopy, a CT scan and a HIDA scan with cck, ALL which came back normal. Still now, my stomach just doesn't feel right and it seems like test after test is "normal". I'm scared to death it will happen again. I can't think of anything I did differently that might have brought this on. Any ideas what it could be/ where I could go from here?