Gastroenterology Community
upper abdominal tightness and shortness of breath-Please help.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone had upper abdominal tightness that also had shortness of breath and was diagnosed with liver disease?  I am a 29 year old female who for the past 2 years have been having shortness of breath or feeling of not getting enough air.  I have been diagnosed with Acid Reflux as this seems to be only thing they could find. I have had numerous tests and besides thyroid nodules was all they could find. About a year or so ago I had a chest xray done to see if anything showed to indicate this feeling. Nothing was found. I had Upper GI and the only thing they saw was the acid reflux. I have been to numerous doctors and had a complete blood work done. I assume that in this complete blood workup the also tested my kidney and liver. The doctor said that everything looked ok and nothing besides a slightly elelvated wbc. Because of that I retook the blood test and my count was back to normal. I have been suffering from this for this long and want to know if there is anything else that I can do. I do notice however that when i add pressure to my upper abdomen, burp, or just bear down on my upper abdomen, or just relax i find that i can take that satisfying deep breath. Can anyone help me. I am really worried that I might have cancer or some other terrible fatal disease.One more thing, when I breath through my mouth i find that i don't relly have this feeling, but mainly when I breath through my nose or try to take a deep breath through my nose i feel that way and my abdomen feels tight.
I have had GERD most of my life.  Reflux can and does come up and can enter your lungs and sinus.  You may not really realize it.  If you are getting reflux into your lungs, this could be it.  This is dangerous.  Can cause long term issues.  Make sure you take your meds and talk to your doctor (GI) about  this.  Good luck.
how can you tell if it is in your lungs? Are there other symptoms if this does happen?

If you feel it in your chest and throat,  it is possible that a small amount is being carried to your lungs just from normal respiration.  A friend's mother a few years ago ended up with lung cancer that the doctors suspected was from years a reflux.  My experience is to drink plenty of water over the course of the day, take your medications, no coffee or carbonated drinks and eat smaller meals.   Good luck
Your symptoms sound a lot like mine. I'm 26, female, dont smoke, used to drink in college but not anymore. That abdominal tightness feels like someone is squeezing me around the waste and I find it takes some work to breathe. It usually happens in the evening, but sometimes during the day too, and it even makes me have difficulty falling asleep. When this first started in February, I thought I was having a heart attack or something, so I went to the ER cause it was really bad. They checked literally EVERYTHING (heart, lungs, blood, even checked for signs of blood clots) and I was fine, so they sent me home! Later my doctor gave me medication for allergy/asthma (singulair) and i'm not sure if its doing any good yet. I also tried an albuterol inhaler which I think did nothing. I'm also occasionally taking Maalox chewables, because I have a suspicion it may be related to acid reflux or gerd.... I eat a lot of spicy foods and coffee, although I never "feel" any heartburn... but that's the road that I'm thinking of trying next. A pharmacist recommended prevacid and said it could be giving me the breathing problems... I guess I will try that next. Otherwise, I have no idea... (I also feel better when I burp and breathe better thru my mouth).  

If you're worried about your liver or something specific, it doesnt  hurt to ask your doctor about it. The risk of sounding stupid is far outweighed by the piece of mind. Besides, they've literally heard everything! Also, have you actually been taking the acid reflux medication? If so, what kind and how did that work out for you?
I have the same symptoms, my stomach feels like it is going to explode, and I can't breathe. I can't sleep right now either. Sometimes I feel its in my head, but I really feel it. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I feel that if I don't get a deep breath I will suffocate. Really they need to find a cure for this, I am tired of it. I have tried prilosec and all other meds, but they fail. I even had that laproscopic surgery  done, nothing helped.
It could very well be GAD, or General Anxiety Disorder. I have pretty much what you are explaining and was told that I have acid reflux. But the worry of it being more than just that causes panic or anxiety attacks that make you feel like you can't breath and that someone is squeezing your chest and abdomin (abdomen).

Ask your doctor about this as well. Since you are a self proclaimed hypochondriac, that could very well be the diagnosis.
i have the same feelings as most everyone here. whenever i try to breath i feel like i can take a full deep breath or if i do i have to work really hard to get one and its very uncomfortable. i have been diagnosed with acid reflux which i think might be really severe becasue this has been going on for so long now. the top of my stomach tightens up so much and when i try to talk i can barley get a word out because i am so short of breath. ive had more doctors appt than i can count in the past yr and still they cant find what is wrong.
I have all of these symptoms. Went to  a hospital emergency and they gave me all kind of tests that cost me 18,0000 dollars. I don't have 18,000 dollars of coarse so that's another story. I do have the same symptoms though. They game me pro air and other asthma stuff. None of it helps. i stopped using it.
I have been having similar symptoms. I have tightness in my abdomen with shortness of breath. The breathing trouble gets really bad at times. The tightness comes and goes all day. It feels better to breath when laying down. I also get light headed and the shakes sometimes. I do have some burping and feel very full even when I don't eat. I have been to the hospital twice and had several test done. I have been told I have a fluid filled sac on my kidney as well as one on my liver. It is only cyst, however, this is not the case of the abdomen tightness and trouble breathing. It is very frustrating when no one can help. I had a CT w/o contrast 6 months ago and it showed an elevation in my diaghram. I have been insisting on further testing and getting a CT w/wo contrast of abdo/pelvis tomorrow. I am also going to the GI doctor for his opinion as well. it may be a bacteria infection in the stomach or it may be cyst in other organs that are affecting the pressure on your abdomen. I will post my results once I receive it. I suggest you ask your doctor for a CT abdomen/pelvis with and without contrast as this will show what a X-ray and other test won't.