Gastroenterology Community
upper gas discomfort near the sternum

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

upper gas discomfort near the sternum

I am 53 and lately have started experiencing what feels like gas  and bloating pain just below my sternum- It is like what I have eaten is taking along time to travel down to my stomach. I have had my gallbladder out about 21 years ago- I am on thyroid medicine and also on vicodin for lower back pain- It comes and goes and sometimes when I am laying down, it causes difficulties in breathing for a short period of time. Any clue as to what this could be.
Avatar n tn
Sorry you feel this bad.  Are you feeling blocked up some? That might be causing it some? just an idea let me know if you any better yet?
Avatar n tn
The discomfort comes and goes- I am not blocked up although that  happens- Thank you for the note
Avatar n tn
I was taking vicodin for knee pain and developed similar symptoms.  Doctors found a small hiatal hernia and a slow acting gall bladder.  The HIDA scan showed this.  I think the  slow release of bile may be creating the gas and discomfort.. i'm wondering if Vicodin is the culprit.  I know you can't be taking any pain killers while taking the test.  Any thoughts?
Avatar n tn
I was thinking that perhaps it might be something like that. I will have to check into that further I had my gallbladder out, but sometimes the bile buildup does cause some problems. Never like this though. This is a starting point. thank you