Gastroenterology Community
upper left quandrant discomfort
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

upper left quandrant discomfort

For two months, I have had a mild to moderate pain
in my upper-left quadrant, right on or below the rib cage, and sometimes a sense of pressure in the mid/low sternum, just to the left when I lean over.   Occasionally, after sitting upright a long time, the pain radiates to the outer rim of my left rib and less occasionally to a small point in the middle of my back, well below the shoulder. The pain mostly feels like a cramp muscle, sometimes a sharp, moderate pain.
If I sit for long periods, which I must for work, the area beneath my rib cage feels tight.
Because I was having signs of reflux--burning, some acid in my mouth, bad taste in mouth in morning, heartburn in left chest, I took a two-week course of Prilosec OTC.

While taking it, I felt my more general stomach area to tighten, almost in a cramp, but now that I am not taking Prilosec, that tightness seems much less pronounced.  I don't have much sign of reflux anymore.  I am awakening early, and sometimes feel stomach discomfort--a tightness in the stomach, but nothing acute.  I do sometimes feel that sleeping on my side is not comfortable, that my stomach feels a little upset by these positions.  I still have a bad taste in my mouth in mornings, but nothing especially bad my husband says. My bowel activity is normal, as is urine, no vomiting, no nausea. no fever, no yellowness.  I may have more gas than usual but nothing extremely increased.
I am being treated for anxiety issues, and a few times have felt shortness of breath, but presume it's related to my worry.  And I may be convincing myself that I feel a hardness just to the right of one of my left ribs--very narrow, almost like fatty tissue.  Generally, it doesn't hurt when touched, but some movements and lifting with left hand and some sudden turns at the waist to the left will pronounce the pain--which remains mostly localized except those times when my entire stomach seems tight.

I am 47---had full blood work four months ago--all fine.
Normal bp. Could this be GERD related, and I just need a longer course?  I've taken all sorts of stressors out of diet, in fact all those typically listed--for a month now. I can't be sure, but I might be having more intestinal gas and gurgling from my stomach than I used to but not extreme. I realize my anxiety could present this as well.

I'm concerned it has lasted two months--and some days are good, some less good, but never completely absent.