Gastroenterology Community
very bad stomach ache and stomach cramps sometimes after eating

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I get a very bad stomach ache and stomach cramps sometimes after eating fruit. It comes on around 3-4 hours after eating it and then gets progressively worse until I am finally sick. It is usually around 9 or 10 hours in to it before I am sick. Once sick, the pains start to very slowly ease and I feel generally much better. I have had an allergy test and am not allergic to fruit. It does not happen all of the time either – if eating fruit every day, sometimes five or six weeks can pass before it happens again. Other times it comes on within a few days of the last episode. I only know this as I limit the amount of fruit I eat because of it, so sometimes just get away with a stomach ache. When it is bad though, I leave it several weeks before I dare eat any more fruit just in case as it is pretty horrible. By the next day, most of the pains will have gone and I will feel ok. Once I start eating though, the first few sets of food that pass through my system make it hurt again quite a lot – as if it is burned or swollen / raw. Despite this, I am pretty sure it is not simply the acid from the fruit as it does not happen all of the time and it is not dependant on an empty stomach.
I think that it is the chemicals that are used on some fruits. Once the fruit reaches the lower depths of my stomach, my own chemicals start to break down the insecticides or whatever has been added during the production process and new chemical are formed – I think it is those ‘new’ chemicals that I am allergic to. Testing such a thing would be very difficult I think and are only guessing with all of it. Washing fruit does not help. The first time it happened it was from a ready-to-eat fruit salad bowl from my local supermarket; plus I scrub and peel the fruit just in case.
Has anyone any suggestions, advice or similar symptoms that they have any additional information about please??
Thank you for your help,
Clive.

It might be a fructose intolerance.  Try researching this and then eliminate the foods that are high in fructose for a while to see if it helps.

Thanks for your reply – I will look in to fructose.

It is caused when I eat plumbs, apples, bananas, melon (not so much water melon) and grapes – it most probably happens with other fruits too but they are the only ones that I have had on their own when it has happened (rather than in a fruit salad etc).

The only potential problem I can see with it possible being fructose is that it only seems to be caused by fruit. So much so that I went for allergy testing specifically for fruit – all was clear.

Keeping this in mind, I am still open to suggestions and ideas, but will look in to fructose all the same.

Clive.

After taking a look at fructose, I see why it was suggested – especially as I have recently had a reaction from bananas but up until then, was fine with bananas even on an empty stomach. However, I have never had any problems with fruit juice (I drink a lot of orange juice) and eat more honey than I should! Especially if I get a cold – I make lemsip drinks with a very healthy dollop of honey in it – on a very empty stomach and have never had a problem.
Having said that, I do not know enough about what foods contain fructose (in a level that is likely to be significant to me) or how long after consumption a reaction is likely to occur – keeping in mind that mine starts around 3-4 hours after consumption.

Any suggestions?

Clive.
Other than fructose intolerance I can't figure out what else it would be besides that some people (especially people with IBS, which you could have) can't tolerate certain foods.

Because I can eat all fruit all of the time, then one of the times (regardless of fruit (i think) and how full my stomach is) it will come on, I am unsure if IBS would be a factor. If allergy or IBS wouldn't it happen all of the time?

The symptoms of fructose intolerance seem quite close and a likely candidate; except for the honey part. Plus it still raises the question why it would only happen 1 in 8 / 1 in 10 times.

Any suggestions please..?

Clive.
Allergies do usually happen all of the time but IBS doesn't always happen every time.  For now, I would say eliminate the foods that have caused you problems in the past.

Thanks for your reply. Trouble is, that means eating no fruit at all.

Thanks for your help though.

Clive.
Hi Clive, I am experiencing the same problem as we speak and I am considering going to my Dr but I'm sure that they will have nothing to say other than stop eating fruit. I love fruit especially in the summer but my stomach aches are becoming to hard to deal with.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Angela
Hi Clive.

I have the same issue as you. I'm 26 years old and after 13 years of this issue they still can't tell me what's wrong and it's been very frustrating. It started out with just grapes and bananas and has evolved to include most fruits, excluding certain types of apples, and is also quite intense with avacados, bell peppers and corn. Whether eaten fresh or prepared in a meal, they cause me great pain. It's like a massive cramping of the stomach rather than a burn, and it eventually travels down to the intestines as the dangerous food in question makes its way through the digestive system (except for peppers which tend to cause me to be sick to my stomach in addition to the intense cramping pains).

It's not acid, it's tested negative for allergies, and it's tested negative for fructose intolerance. Doctors have tentatively labelled mine a form of IBS but have told me that's not it either and that they're essentially stumped. The next step I'm to take is to get a biopsy done of my intestines to see if there's an issue there but I've yet to get it done as I'm waiting to see a specialist.

I keep reading these sites and searching the web for answers, but, like you, the most I've been able to find is a handful of people with similar symptoms, no diagnosis, and no solution.

Do you find yours is progressive and more foods are being added to the "can't eat" list? I'm worried all I'll be able to eat soon are saltines and water.