Gastroenterology Community
weakness after eating

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

weakness after eating

Hi, can anyone shed light on this problem.  After a meal, I nearly always feel extremely weak, my heart rate goes up and I feel even worse.    Have been checked out for heart many times.  Nothing wrong.  But this is so bad I can never look forward to eating out with a friend as this attack may happen and I would have to lie down.    I do suffer from bad indigestion -and yes I have had a gastro camera down into the gut.  Also an Espophagus problem.  No problems sho up on camera.   If anyone else has this strange problem, I would be glad to hear from you.    Thanks      Palps.
Have you been checked for diabetes? In a lot of cases, people with diabetes become very week after meals. As far as the heart rate, it could possibly be just anxiety. I know I had anxiety when I was having problems with breathing which caused my blood pressure to skyrocket. I would get some blood work done and illiminate the possibility of diabetes as weakness after a meal is quite common  among diabetics.
I would look into food intolerances.  I recently realized I am lactose intolerant, (and possibly some other foods too,) but I have very similar episodes.  Just a week ago, I felt very weak, nauseas, and wanted to just lie down after eating 2 fiber bars for breakfast (I've had some problems with them since this and have eliminated them from my diet) then I had a salad for lunch ( I also seem to have alot of problems with salads, even w/out the cheese.) As for the heartrate, I get that alot too, but as it sounds like you've done, I 've had all kinds of tests. They did say I have PAC's (premature atrial contractions) (basically, an extra heartbeat), and it's benign, but the doctor also explained that the Vagus nerve supplies your heart, digestion and breathing, so when one thing stimulates it (like indigestion), it can stimulate your heart too.  That made me feel better about the heart rate anyway. As for indigestion, see, I said that was my problem for a long time too.  What I am learning about lactose intolerance,( and other food intolerances as well,I guess) is that the food doesn't get digested so bacteria that are in your body begin to attack it and give off gases that cause pain and bloating. Now
I'm wondering if the gas makes the intestines spasm and causes  pain that, for me mimics cramps. It radiates to my back and legs and lends to the weak feeling.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but what I have figured out, I've gotten from reading others' experiences more so than from the doctors in some cases, so I hope you find help at this site.  The advice from the last post on diabetes is a good one, too, but I thought the same thing and was checked. It was normal as well.  Keep posting and maybe we'll both get to the bottom of this.  I left work today because I felt so bad I just couldn't work, and thought I'd check to see if anyone else had this problem!
Hello, I am so glad to speak to someone else, who has this, my doctors have treated me as a time waster for years!   The palpitations nd chest tightness after a meal (if I try to walk etc.) are the most problem, as this also then makes the heart rate shoot up. Then I feel dreadful.  Docs put me on drugs, although there was no sign of heart problem.
I think they just don't rate it as an official illness.    Bye the way, I drank a very small glass of green ginger wine after a friend told me it may help, but as with all alchohol, even a tiny amount, I go to sleep after 7 mins or so.
I am sorry to go on - it's very boring.   But would greatly appreciate your comments and any info. you may have.   Please keep in touch.   I am in England.   Bye.
hi, look even if youve had an endoscopy to look for gastritis and ulcers, sometimes lazy sphincters are not picked easy, if the sphincter doesnt close properly after food or water consumption, then acid keeps flowing, one side-effect of this is fast and hard heart beats and palpitations. cheers.
I have this problem too and its driving me insane!
At first I thought I was eating too much salt but I almost cut it out and I still got that horrible feeling.
I would suddenly feel absolutely exausted but when I try to sleep I cant, i just go into a sort of trance.
Also my limbs twitch and I have to put tonnes of effort in just to get up.
The feeling passes within an hour but its really worrying me.
Does anyone know what it is???
I'm having weakness and pain after I eat.  My gallbladder was removed 6 years ago.  Is any one having this problem.