Gastroenterology Community
weekly vomiting and diarrhea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

weekly vomiting and diarrhea

My boyfriend is 23 and up until recently he was hardly ever sick.  Usually he gets sick about once or twice a year, and it is always the same thing- he wakes up feeling sick and weak, has burps that taste like rotten eggs and sulfur, by noon he is vomiting (the vomit smells like feces) then he has diarrhea. He also has abdominal cramping that feels better after he vomits. The vomiting and diarrhea continue on all day, until he has nothing left in his stomach. At this point he usually feels well enough to eat, but if he does he will most likely vomit it back up. When he wakes up the next day he feels better. This used to happen about once or twice a year(he always thought it was the flu) but it has become more frequent. A few months ago he had it twice in a month, then the next month  three times, now its almost twice a week. It doesn’t matter what types of foods he has eaten the day before; each time he was sick is after a day of eating totally normal food for him- prepared the same way each time. His doctor told him it sounds like GERD (but I have GERD, and I never had any thing like that before), so he went to a GI and he was given Omeprazole, and told to come back if it happened again. A week later he was sick and so the GI said it sounds like IBS and was given Levbid Er  to take twice a day, (but I have not read anything about IBS causing vomiting- or being so debilitating for one day and the rest of the time having NO symptoms whatsoever). He has been taking both medicines that were prescribed to him but he is sick again today, which makes this the second time this week. If anyone has any idea about what this might be, or what tests he needs to get, please let me know. I am worried about him, and he is sick of being sick.
Thank you.
My son had the same thing.  He has been through test.  He's been well now for about a month.  It usually gets so bad that he has to be admitted to the hospital.  They can't find anything.  If you get some info on this please post it.