Aa
A
A
Close
what are the nerves that control acid production in the stomach?
I have had GERD for over 15 years.  In 1996 I had a fundoplication to control the reflux.  It was done to tightly, and I suffered severe pain from the build up of gas in my stomach.  In 2002 the fundoplication was undone and a "toupee" procedure narrowed the sphincter.

In 1996, I was living in South Africa where the fundoplication was performed.  A friend of mine had a fundoplication done almost 20 years earlier in South Africa.  In those days the surgery was done via a large abdominal incision.  My friend told me that when they performed the fundoplication, the surgeon also severed a nerve to her stomach.  She did not know which nerve and I certtainly have no clue which nerve it was.  At any rate, she had very little appetite, and said that she produced very little acid in her stomach.

I have no idea how much of this is real or accurate.  I do know, however, that I have been sleeping upright in my recliner for the past year.  I have not slept with my husband during that time.  Whenever I think I will be OK, I relent and stretch out on the sofa, with my head propped up.  In the morning I awake with a burning throat and a very froggy voice.

I really would like to rejoin my husband, so I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the afore-mentioned procedure, and if it something I might consider to stop the reflux so that I might enjoy something of a normal life.

Thank you, wilma
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
They cut the branch of the vagus nerve that runs into the stomach. It's typically done in an operation called a vagotomy. It can have some positive benefits, but also carries some side-effects that are not 'great.' Discuss it with your doc.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources