Gastroenterology Community
what are the nerves that control acid production in the stomach?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had GERD for over 15 years.  In 1996 I had a fundoplication to control the reflux.  It was done to tightly, and I suffered severe pain from the build up of gas in my stomach.  In 2002 the fundoplication was undone and a "toupee" procedure narrowed the sphincter.

In 1996, I was living in South Africa where the fundoplication was performed.  A friend of mine had a fundoplication done almost 20 years earlier in South Africa.  In those days the surgery was done via a large abdominal incision.  My friend told me that when they performed the fundoplication, the surgeon also severed a nerve to her stomach.  She did not know which nerve and I certtainly have no clue which nerve it was.  At any rate, she had very little appetite, and said that she produced very little acid in her stomach.

I have no idea how much of this is real or accurate.  I do know, however, that I have been sleeping upright in my recliner for the past year.  I have not slept with my husband during that time.  Whenever I think I will be OK, I relent and stretch out on the sofa, with my head propped up.  In the morning I awake with a burning throat and a very froggy voice.

I really would like to rejoin my husband, so I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the afore-mentioned procedure, and if it something I might consider to stop the reflux so that I might enjoy something of a normal life.

Thank you, wilma
They cut the branch of the vagus nerve that runs into the stomach. It's typically done in an operation called a vagotomy. It can have some positive benefits, but also carries some side-effects that are not 'great.' Discuss it with your doc.