Gastroenterology Community
what is catching under my ribs?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

what is catching under my ribs?

I started experiencing the pain when doing side on stomach crunches. It feels like there is something hooking on to my left lower rib cage. I would say at first it was more discomfort than pain. Recently I have also been experiencing the catching feeling when bending and during the last couple of weeks there is almost constantly a dull ache in the area. The pain is at the side of my rib cage rather than central as some people seem to be describing. I find that the pain is worse after visiting the gym so I wonder if it is muscular? I first stopped doing side crunches but I have now had to stop the regular stomach crunches too as what ever it is is hooking itself on??

FYI, as mentioned above I too have a small torso. I also spend a lot of time in fronyt of my PC so I wonder if it is down to poor posture too??

I'd love to know if anyone finds out what this thing is so please post if you do, in the meantime at least we now know that we're not alone in our symptoms.

This discussion is related to Hurting under the bottom of left rib?.
I have had an uncomfortable pressure on my left side just under my rib cage for a few months now and have no clue what it is.  I don't notice a difference when I eat or anything but have experienced mild heart burn and what feels like acid reflux recently, as well as pain between my shoulder blades.  I have seen a doctor about it twice but he doesn't have an answer for me.  

I also spend a lot of time in front of the computer, and it only bothers me when I sit or bend over.  It's driving me crazy so if anyone has any answers I would love to hear them.
Sounds to me like you may have some problems with your gallbladder. Pain between the shoulder blades and acid reflux (which is commonly misdiagnosed for gallbladder stones) is a pretty good indication that your gallbladder may be inflammed or perhaps may even contain stones. Go to a doctor and request a CT scan and ultrasound for the gallbladder as well as an upper GI endoscopy for the acid reflux. Hope this helps....I know how you feel
I also have that same pinching feeling.  Mine is on my right side.  It really does feel like something is hooked on my rib cage.  It hurts when it happens.  I don't know what it is.  I have had my gallbladder taken out and also a ovarian cysts the size of a baseball.  I didn't get that pinching until after those surgeries. I work out and have a small torso.  I hope someone who has this will post us and tell us what it is.
Ok ask for a blood test for Pancreatitis....I went to a specialist and he said that I have mild inflammation of my pancreas. I am not sure if this is the problem but it would explain my back pain and the pain under the right rib. My guess is that for us it is acute because unless you are an alcoholic there is no chance of contracting chronic pancreatitis. The possible cause that is most likely in our case is that a gallstone has become lodged in the bile duct which causes problems for the pancreas.This can easily be fixed with the help of a PANCREATIC SPECIALIST not just any random gastroenterologist. I will let you know how things pan out.
I'm wondering.....did anyone get any answers to this "rib hooking" problem??

I have exactly the same thing, though mine is painful in a kicked in the gut kind of way, ...then leaves me feeling sore & nauseous afterwards, sometimes for a day or so & its more prone to reoccur soon after its just happened,...... bending twisting, touching toes, even getting up out of bed can set it off, & I also tend to feel a sort of "bubbling" sensation in the hurt area after its happened, had it over 7 year now, started after childbirth & find over the years I have come to automatically avoid movement  that sets it off, but due to other health issues, now trying hard with excersize/yoga etc, & finding its now a real problem again....

I have wondered about  hiatal hernia??, as I gained an umbilical one during childbirth, though my GP was dismissive of this, though I di have pretty much constant heartburn too, along with a list of other problems, but I don't feel they are related

any ideas, or updates much apreciated
thank You
I have even more I got a pain in all my chest and under my ribs right and left I don't know that is that sometimes I get some pain also in my back I ve done x ray , blood test , ECG all it's fine . I don't know what is that . If u have any idea please feel free to say so . Thanks
It could be your pancreas.  I have suffered with the same pain for years. They first said it was my back, went to chiropractor, massages, even acupuncture.  I had xrays, ultrasound, blood work and they couldn't figure out what it was.  I finally demanded a ct scan which showed I have chronic pancreatitis with a cyst inside of it.  I am scheduled to see a surgeon in 2 weeks.  Mine is not caused by drinking which everyone assumes when you mention CP   Talk to your doctor and keep pushing until you get answers.