Gastroenterology Community
what is considered a dangerously high bilirubin count? I have 10.6

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have a 10.6 bilirubin count and my doctor is deciding whether or not to put me in the hospital. He told me that a 1.0 is average and that anything higher than a 3 is considered high. I am at a 10.6 and he considers it extremely dangerous. Is he correct?
10.6 is rather high. I believe the 'normal' bilirubin range is 0.1 to 1.2 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), although 'normal' may vary slightly from lab to lab. High levels of bilirubin can suggest various problems from infection to biliary tract and liver disease.
I was just released from the hospital 3 months ago and my bilirubin is still wavering back and forth between 12 and 14.  I really don't know what this means either but my doc wants to see me next week to discuss a possible liver transplant. Except for fatigue and peripheral neuralgia, which is bothersome but not unbearable, and recovering from jaundice/edema/anemia slowly, I'm ok and don't know where to begin researching ... Ended up here ...
Your doctors didn't give you a diagnosis? A good website for liver disorders is the Mayo Clinic's. It sounds like your liver is in pretty bad shape if they want to evaluate you for a transplant. Liver disease can be caused by many things but most commonly alcohol abuse and Hep C. Please make sure you see a hepatologist at the transplant center you plan on using. Good luck and you might get some more answers on the "liver disorders" forum.
your dr should be looking at why your billirubin is so high - once the reason is found then a treatment plan can be formulated.
Thanks to you and KjFlicka for responding. My GI says it's cirhossis and anemia but I'm just beginning this road ... negative for all hepatitis at least. I will check out the mayo clinic though .... I know I'll be posting here again as I start to learn more about the disease.
My total lipids are 494, cholesterol 19, trig 108, HDL 33, LDL 67, VLDL 17, bilirubin 1.2, ALT 86, AST 40.
i am worried about that, i think i have jauindice. Can you guide me please is this test is okay or not?

Thanks very much
My brother has a total bilirubin count of 21 and direct Bilirubin of 19.
These numbers have gone from 8 and 3 to the above in 3 weeks.

Most likely cause is alcohol induced jaundice. Is this an irreversibly high number? His GGT was extremely high 3 weeks ago but has now come down substantially with medication and total abstinence (GGT from 2341 on 16/02/03 and 220 today)

Please advise if there is a bilirubin number that is the cut off point for irreversible liver damage. We are quite freaked out.
Did you ever find out anything?  My sister is in the hospital with a 21 bilirubin level and has cirrhosis of the liver.  What can I expect moving forward?
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers