Gastroenterology Community
what is thickening of the colon mean

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

what is thickening of the colon mean

i went to the dr and he said i have thickening around the colon and inflmmation to i had blood test done it also should inflammation im going for a colonoscopy to see what is going on  just wonring if that means you can have colon cancer with the thickening  of the colon. me help ginger

This discussion is related to thickening of colon lumen.
How old are you? Colorectal cancer is rare under 40.

Thickening and inflammation of colonic wall, and inflammation detected in blood, is typical for Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. Now they will do a colonoscopy to take few samples of tisue to determined diagnosis exactly.
How did your GP know you had this thickening without a colonoscopy?
i had a ct scan, and  the thing were they went in to my mouth in to my stomach
A CT scan, testing for kidney stones and to locate reasons for lower right side abdominal pain just below the bladder, indicated non-obstructing stones but signs of thickening of the colon.  Several years ago, I was treated for colitis and IBS, weight loss and seizures.  How often does colitis rare its ugly head and does thickening of the colon result in colitis?  A vetran nurse suggested that I follow up with the doctor's instructions and referral because of the dangers.  Should I be concerned at this point?
I've been undergoing various tests for awhile relating to symptoms of various diseases, including carcinoid cancer, which I traveled from my home on the east coast to University of Iowa to have special testing done. One of the scans showed Inflammation in the Terminal Ilium, so I followed up with my regular Gastro at home, as advised by the Dr. in Iowa. He ordered a MR Enterography, which showed thickening of the small intestine and enlarged lymph nodes. He has me scheduled for a colonoscopy this coming Thursday. He also advised me to get my labs he'd already ordered done ASAP and the two stool samples prior to the colonoscopy. I've decided not to worry about anything until I have to and know it could be anything from Inflammatory Bowel Disease, either Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, or the Carcinoid I have symptoms of, or other cancer, such as Lymphoma, or infections. The most concerning thing to me is the enlarged lymph nodes, but I realize these swell with any type of infection. I'm just wondering about anyone else;s thoughts.