Gastroenterology Community
what should i expect?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

what should i expect?

I am 16 years old. I have been sick for the past few months. We couldn't figure out what the problem was. Then the other day i went to my doctor for the second time in a week. He suggested i get my gall bladder tested. The next day i went to the outpatient lab where they did a ultrasound and found no stones. I thought this was good news until after i had my other test done. The next day we recieved a phone call saying that my gall bladder was only functioning 9 out of 100. I would have to have surgery. I have been researching this procedure. It is making me rather depressed because i can never get a straight and honest answer for what it will be like after my surgery. I don't like surgeries much at all, but i realize i need this done. My main concern is if i will lose weight or gain after my surgery. I have been trying to lose weight now for a while. I'm scared that i will have this done and gain weight back or not be able to lose any. Is it possible for me to lose the weight and feel much better after my surgery? I'm not sure when i have to have this done, but from what i know it's suppose to be soon. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Complications.
im 17 years old and i kno what and how you feel about not get a staight answer... i have gall stones and they are very huge as they told me.... i have looked up and signed up for everything to help me understand wat is to come... but everyone is different... i go in for the dr next week to talk about the surgery... but i have been told by most people that you lose wait... because your gall bladder holds all the fat in your body so when it is gone there is nothing to hold... my mom had hers remove and she lost alot of weight... and i have read that someone post on this site that lose so much weight that they want some of it back... it really all depends on you and your body... everyone recovers different... i hope that i have helped you out in some way... if you have more questions i will be happy to help if i can... i wish you the best of luck...