Gastroenterology Community
when is the time for reconnection after colostomy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had a emergency colostomy 5 weeks ago---My doctor is talking about surgery to reconnect in another 5 or 6 weeks---how do I know that I will be ready for that?  Do I need a second opinion?  One of my friends had a horrible time with this and ended up having 6 surgeries before everything worked. I need some good advice.
I have 2 sons and a grandson who have had colostomies.  They were all reconnected in 3 months or 12 weeks.  Your doctor is right on track.  I know some doctors are doing the procedure all in one step and it seems that these are the ones having problems.  Keep in mind that just because your friend had problems, does not mean you will.  My sons and grandson had no problems after being re-connected.  This is a very common surgery, and what your doctor wants to do is the norm.  You will be completely healed by the time your next surgery is done.
I am a 60 year  old man. Due to diverticulitis they cut part of my intestine. few days later something went wrong and I had to be operated again and bag was installed on my side. I was a bit depressed at the begining.  I understood that that bag saved my life. and after a while I learned to handle it with no problem.   I had the bag for 9 months.  two months ago  I was re-connected. Something went wrong again  so, they did it again.  I end up with 4 interventions in total!!!!  I am recovering well, hope to be well soon.
Cheer up   you will be ok soon
Mario Martinez     ***@****
2009-12-02
I had a temporary colostomy, and my Dr. told me after 10-12 weeks he would reconnect my bowel.  I had to wait about 13 weeks becuase I had so many adhesions, he was hoping they would loosen up if we waited longer.  So youi're Dr. is right on track to allow proper healing of all the tissue and hopefully avoid problems.

Good Luck!