Gastroenterology Community
which is the safer drug, prevacid or nexium

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

which is the safer drug, nexium or prevacid?

This discussion is related to Nexium VS Protonix.
There is no 'safer.' It depends on which one works better for you. They don't all work by a completely similar mode of action. So you'll have to try to find the one that works and gives you the fewer side-effects.
Avatar n tn
thanks so much for your comment. have you tried any type of natural herb? my brother-in-law has cancer of the esophagus and his doctor said it could have been from the drug that he was taking and the drug was nexium. have you heard about this link of anti-acid medication to cancer?
I have not heard of any link between nexium and cancer of the esophagus. There is a link between acid reflux and Barrett's esophagus that can ultimately turn into cancer if the condition is not controlled. That's typically why nexium is given - to knock down the reflux and control damage to the esophagus.
Avatar n tn
thanks for that information. my brother-in-law did have acid reflex and barrett's esophagus. he was put on nexium for that reason.