Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community
17 years old female with morning nausea/vomiting, occassional diarhhea ...

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions and support relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options for GIST.

17 years old female with morning nausea/vomiting, occassional diarhhea (not pregnant)

My 17 year old child (female) is having digestive issues, morning nausea (she is not pregnant), and somethings vomiting, occassional diarrhea and sometimes constipation.  She had the same issues last year, we took her to a Gastro and he ordered an abdominal unltrasound (came back clear except for constipation) they imaged her upper and lower intestines and her kidneys as she was complaining of occassional back pain.  They found nothing, than ordered an endoscopy, came back clear, they did a biopsy of the stomach lining benign and no signs of celiac.  The ultrasound found constipation, put her on a course of Miralax and she was fine in about 2 weeks.  Now she is having similar symptoms but not constipated that we can tell.  I want to take her back to the Gastro, should I request an upper and lower GI with contrast? What other things should the check are there blood test to check liver and gallbladder?  Just want an idea of what to ask Doctor about before we go. Thanks, Concerned Mom.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Because the ultrasound scan and endoscopy and biopsy have not revealed there is a less chance that something is seriously wrong with your child. However upper and lower GI with contrast and barium swallow and small bowel follow through, CT scan or MRI, colonoscopy etc can be done for further diagnosis. Also testing for liver and kidney function can be done via blood tests. Consult your Doctor.
Hope this helps.
Take care and good luck.
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community Resources