Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community
Sister Diagnosed with Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST)

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions and support relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options for GIST.

Hi -

I am not sure this is the right place but I'm trying to find out about Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST).  Does anyone know what they are and what kind of specialist would treat them?

Thanks for your help!

Michael

hi, my family has some sort of cancer history.  My father, grandmom all died of cancer.

now as i type, my uncle - my father's brother is at the terminal stage of cancer.
So i did pay a lot of attention to the latest in cancer treatment (as i fully expect my siblings or myself to have cancer.. soon.. eventually)

I learn about a new and not so abrasive treatment (better than chemo), it is called Gene Therapy (I learn from BBC knowledge channel), the information and the Dr. Sterman is the one that did a lot of work on that front.  It was in it's infancy stage in 2006, so it is a pretty "mature" treatment method now

I found his info here: it is worth checking out.. best of luck!

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/lungctr/paccd/pulmonary/physicians_staff/faculty/dsterman.html
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community Resources