Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community
gist

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions and support relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options for GIST.

gist

i have small tumor in stom., & lots of polyps. tumor size of a quarter & cancer. it is confined to this area.  surg. said i need gastrectomy, he did not say yet how much of stom. is need to be romoved.  jan. 7, 2010 is set for surgy. i had 3 endoscops already which they removed severl polyps each time. i need another one done before surgy. on the 7th. im scared i will loose all my stom., can u give me some info.. ty, mrs. b.

This discussion is related to Partial Gastrectomy Problems.
Tags: gist
One of the issues you may encounter is what is known as "dumping problems".  Which means that the food isn't being digested in the stomach, but goes directly into the intestines.  Overtime, and with a dietary adjustment this will discontinue once you learn what foods to eat, and what to stay away from.  As well, portion sizes will deminish, but you'll probably eat more often, but less in portion size.

Stick with foods that are higher in protein, but lower in carbohydrates.  

You will not absorb Vitamin B12 as readily and may have to resort to injections periodically.

I actually work with a gentleman who was 360 pounds and a diabetic with high blood pressure.  His stomach was totally removed.  He is now down to 195 pounds and his diabetes has completely disappeared.  Blood pressure is back to normal.

He eats many tiny meals with no breads included.

It was all a new learning experience and will be with you, but he says it's a small price to pay to stay alive.  Perhaps you will feel the same way after.

It will be a complete change for you and you will have issues along the way as you learn a knew way to function, but you might keep a daily journal and bring it with you to your doctor visits so that you can better understand what is going on inside of you, and what to do or not do to eleviate issues you encounter along the way.

God bless you on you journey, Joyce.

Just my thoughts....
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community Resources