General Health Community
10 Questions about the Career of a Pharmacist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

1. What is the daily routine at work of a pharmacist?
2. What do you like about being a pharmacist, and what do you dislike about it?
3. Which qualities make a good pharmacist?
4. How does pharmacy advance the world?
5. What courses in university help to start a career in pharmacy?
6. What are the risks in choosing such a career?
7. How stable is the career of a pharmacist?
8. What distinguishes the good and the great in this career?
9. Do you think anyone can be a pharmacist, or is there a specific mindset required?
10. Is it accurate to say that pharmacy is in the middle of science and medicine?
I am not a pharmacist but I don't know if there are any on this site. But I think it is a stable career with some competition. You need a B.S. degree in biological sciences or chemistry and acceptance into pharmacy internship for two years. Then you have to pass a board exam. I think pharmacy is both a science and deals with medicine. You may want to go to the a pharmacy and ask them if they don't mind answering a few questions. They may set up an appointment or just answer the questions right then and there. Most are very nice and willing to answer questions.
The position and career of pharmacist is an arbitrary restriction on work-product. Essentially, the profession is a creation of trade organizations and lobbying to protect jobs. Sort of like having a railroad fireman (whose purpose was to shovelo coal) on a diesel locomotive. There is no reason why physicians should not be able to sell drugs, as they did in the past and do in some countries. With the advent of the internet and on-line next-day prescription filling, the profession is likely to shrink. The late Milton Friedman, the libertarian economist considered pharmacists as unnecessary individuals, who have trade organizations that interject them unnecessarily in patient-doctor relationships. In years gone by, there were what are known as compounding pharmacists, who would make up specific mixtures accdording to a physician's direction. This practice is today, virtually non-existent. Just a personal opinion. I believe you woulpod find greater satisfaction in becoming a physician, registered nurse, nurse practicioner, biological researcher or lab technician.
I will say N.J. has plenty of compounding pharmacists!
There is a niche for compounding pharmacists, and they perform a worthwhile job, however the number of these jobs has been decreasing over the decades, and many modern U.S. physicians will only used F.D.A. approved drugs (regardless of merits) for purposes of restricting liability. The most likely job-scenario for a new pharmacist is to be what is essentially a store clerk in a chain drug store, occupying a gray area in terms of modern medicine. There was a time, not so long ago, that the pharmacist was the person to go to learn about drugs and side effects. With the advent of the Internet and the government database Pubmed, people can go directly to reputable studies to find definitive factual answers. And the modern F.D.A. is as close as an e-mail.