General Health Community
2nd hand ciggerette smoke , now im sick, flu?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I went over to a friends place last friday night where 3 of my friends were smoking ciggerettes. I had no idea they were going to be smoking since they usually go outside, but not that night. So once I got there I chilled for around 2 hours all the while 3 of my friends chain smoked ciggerettes in a small trailor. Now after I left and went home my sinus felt like it was plugged up and sore. Then for the next few days it turned into a sinus infection and sore throat with yellow thick phlem.I coughed up, and I felt really weak like I been hit by a truck and all my muscles ached kind of felt like a mini flu. I just want to know whats going on here. If this is all from 2 hours of exposure to second hand smoke or a virus? My girl friend didnt get sick and we have been kissing eachother. I never get sick, and just find it odd I get this sick after being around ciggerette smoke for a couple hours made me feel horrible. like I caught cancer or somthing.
You might want to see a doctor for a respiratory treatment.  Cigarette smoke has a lot of toxins in it whether you are the smoker or the innocent by stander.  I think I would try breathing some good fresh air in the country where there are lots of trees that give off oxygen.  - Sounds like you inhaled too much poisoned air.  
if you are not use to smoke.  when I get near anyone that is or has been smoking.  for some reason it makes me sick.  the smell is so awful.  I was around it for years my husband was a chain smoker.  I think that is why he died from an enlarged heart.  cigarettes are bad.  mandy876
You might be allergic to cigarette smoke. Take a trip to your family doctor, get blood work, and a chest exam.
It may be just a coincidence that you have developed a respiratory infection  whilst you have been exposed to the cigarette smoke.

Although the smoke will block up your sinuses and cause problems with breathing and irritate your breathing tubes and your throat, it does not cause a bacterial infection.  With the yellow phlegm that you say you have and are feeling unwell, it is likely to be an infection and you will need to see your doctor to get checked out.  

The doctor will be able to establish whether this is a bacterial or viral infection.  For a bacterial infection he will be able to prescribe an antibiotic.  For a viral infection, an antibiotic will not help and you will have to ride it out.  

You can take pain relief medication and also do some steam inhalations.  A hot bowl of water with some Vick or olbas oil and breath in the steam with your head covered with a towel over the bowl.  This will help to clear your congested sinus problems.  You can also purchase a nasal spray for temporary use.

It is possible that one of your mates may have had an infection and with you being confined in a small space and your immune system getting low with all the carcinogenic smoke that you caught the bugs.

One cigarette contains 92 carcinogens.  And for every seven of cigarettes smoked, a passive smoker will have, in effect, smoked one cigarette.
Even though you did not smoke but being confined in a room full of smokers, you are called a "passive smoker".

I hate smoke and can detect a smoker.  They wreak of the smell, it lingers on their clothes, on their body and hair and their breath.  A smoker who has been smoking for a long time will also have nicotine stains on their fingers.  

I am mildly asthmatic and cigarette smoke aggravates my breathing.

Best wishes.