General Health Community
Accidentally sniffed bic lighter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Accidentally sniffed bic lighter

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this potentially silly question.

About 20 minutes ago as I was reading something on the internet I was unconciously playing with a lighter. I was pressing down on the button that makes the hissing sound which I guess releases the butane gas into the air. I was doing this around my head for probably a couple of minutes. I eventually did it right in front of my nose and the smell made me realize what I was doing and I stopped.

Was this dangerous? Would I have been filling the air around my head and breathing in a dangerous amount of chemicals? Would the "sniff" I had with the lighter in front of my face been the same as "huffing"?

I thought I may have felt a slightly ill but I don't know if I was just convincing myself of that with paranoia.

I'm also planning on going to a party in 12 hours where I will probably consume a fairly large number of alcoholic beverages. I'm well aware of the dangers of alchohol but is there any chance that there would still be chemicals in my system or that my body would be still affected by the sniffing and would that cause a dangerous combination similar to the combination of painkillers and alcohol for example?

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum and I'm sorry if it's a really stupid question.

Thanks in advance
Hi Mark....You will be ok.I don't believe you got nearly enough into your system to cause any harm.You are fine.
I agree with ricart. To be honest, I'd be a lot more worried about your planned binge drinking tonight if I were you and concerned about my health; that can have devastating AND fatal consequences.

Huffing usually involves very concentrated focus breathing of the chemical or gas, and since you didn't have your nostril over the butane port, I think you should be ok.

But like I said...if you care about your health, I recommend reconsidering the "intended consumption of large amounts of alcohol"...not trying to lecture, but it really can put your body through hell.
Not a stupid question at all.

I wouldn't judge you on the heavy drinking because that's not the question.

You should be fine; I wouldn't worry about it.