General Health Community
Adderall and nutrition

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Adderall and nutrition

I have been taking the "generic" Adderall (adderrall) 20 mg tablet for some years now (6-7) I requested the generic since it is cheaper, but since it is a tablet and not a capsule, Im aware that all that time it was IR, not XR as the prescription requested. I took a break for about 6 months, and now, going back to school I have started back up on Adderall (adderrall) 20 mg XR capsule. I see more side effects with this med than I ever did with the IR- Headaches, "lump in throat"  5 hrs in, severe appitite suppresion, and nausea to the point that I have to lay down for up to 2 hours. ( I'm suprised I CAN lay down, at times even sleep while on thte med, it makes me feel better) The nausea is so bad I have actually resorted to weed to counter act it and bring back my appitite. The main concern is that my bowles have become VERY frequent, I can feel them moving fast thru out the day and  excess gas. I have at least 2 BMs a day, mostly very soft and at times unformed. I eat very healthy, organic meals and focus alot on my nutrition because I am constantly trying to prevent  cervical dysplasia, treating myself with many vitamins and supplements.  I understand that since adderall (adderrall) is a stimulent, it will speed the process up, but does that mean that my body is not efficiantly absorbing the nutrients from my food and supplements?
These are normal side effects of the Adderall (adderrall).  You should talk to your doctor about either lowering the dose, or putting you on a different medication.  Have you tried Focus Factor?  My youngest nephew is ADHD and they took him off of the Adderall (adderrall) because at 7 years old he weighed only 29 lbs.  They put him on the Focus Factor.  He had the same results as far as concentration and behavior on the Focus Factor that he had on the Adderall (adderrall), but he now has an appetite and is at a healthy weight.  He has none of the side effects that the Adderall (adderrall) gave him.  You might talk to your doctor about this as well.