General Health Community
Allergic Reaction vs Shingles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Allergic Reaction vs Shingles

This past Tuesday night right before bed I noticed my left neck/ear area was irritated and that I may have been bit by a misquito, although I didn't see a bump or bite mark.  I went to bed and woke up at 5 am feeling a little strange.  When I went to the restroom I noticed I couldn't open one eye and the other was swollen.  I turned on the light to see that my entire neck, and face were full of red prinkly bumps that itched.  My arms had patches of the same red bumps.  I layed on the couch and applied ice packs to my eyes until 8 am with little relief from the swelling in my face.  I went to the family doctor and he gave me a cortizone shot and some pills to help releive the itch.

Thursday morning both eyes were swollen shut and the rash was worse.  I went to the doctor again and the other doctor gave me a 50mg benadryl shot, a prescription of prednisone (decreasing dosage of 3 pill for 2 days twice a day, two pills for 2 days twice a day and then one and so on till they are gone.  She also advised that I take over the counter benadryl every four hours (50mg).  It is now Monday morning and the swelling is almost completely down but I still have the red bumps and itch.

I have not taken any other meds since this started on Wednesday.  I can't think of anything that I am doing or using that is different.  I have no idea what I could be allergic to.

My sister told me she thought I had shingles and not an allergic reaction.  

Do allergic reactions normally take this long to go away?  I'm on my way to work today looking like I have some disorder or measles or exzema (eczema)?

I can't stay out of work any longer.  No one else in the family has broken out so I'm guessing I'm not contageious either.

Should I ask to have my blood taken?  What would tell us why this happened if anything?
my 16 year old had shingles 8 years ago and they are extremely painful. his looked like tiny blisters in a group. he had his on his back. I have heard of people having them on their eye. I don't remember him being swollen, but that doesn't mean anyting.
It seem like there was liquid in these little bumps of his. I do remember how much painhe was in even with some pain medication and I don't remember how long it lasted. I will see if I can't google anything for you.

Shingles is an infection caused by a virus from the herpes family of viruses. Shingles is caused by the herpes zoster/ varicella-zoster virus, which is the same virus that causes chickenpox. Shingles only occurs in people who have had chickenpox; shingles represents a reactivation of the dormant varicella-zoster virus. Shingles generally affects the elderly, although it occasionally occurs in younger and/or immunodeficient individuals. The first sign is usually a tingling feeling, itchiness, or stabbing pain on the skin. After a few days, a rash appears as a band or patch of raised dots on the side of the trunk or face. The rash develops into small, fluid-filled blisters which begin to dry out and crust over within several days. When the rash is at its peak, symptoms can range from mild itching to extreme and intense pain.

Also I just read they crust over like chicken pox did.
I am glad you are better and I hope you can figure out what it was.
just to let you know, you can become allergic to anything at anytime of your life a few years ago my husband was rushed to the ER. he has always eaten beef and he became allergic to it. no he didn't have a rash his throat was swollen
michelle

Today is Wednesday and I'm still scratching and itchy and have some swelling left in my face.  I have taken all the Meds and I'm still not 100%.  Should I request a consult to an allergy clinic?
I would request something. what does your doctor say about all of this. something isn't right. See if they can't get you in on an emergency basis to an allegerist.
you would tend to think if you were allergic to something then you would have a rash all over your body.
good luck
michelle
Shingles only occurs in a dermatomal pattern.  If it is on your face and arms it is probably not shingles.  Most of the time with shingles you would have a burning sensation for a one to three days prior to any eruptions.  An allergic reaction could last this long if you are still in contact with the allergen.  Sometimes things that we were not allergic to before over time you can become allergic to.  Also for example you may not be allergic to strawberries and may not be allergic to whipped cream, but you may be allergic to strawberries and whipped cream together.