General Health Community
Anemic?

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Anemic?

Hi, I'm a 28 yr old woman and I was wondering if anyone knew if a level of 18 on a ferritin test is too low? My doctor said it's fine but the range starts at 13 and ends at almost 300? Also, I was wondering if this tends to happen in people with thalassemia? Thalassemia runs in my family but I don't know if I have it, so I'm wondering if that's why my ferritin is where it is. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
My Harrison's says that for women ferritin levels should be between 10 and 200.  I don't believe you are anemic, but to be on the safe side, maybe you shouldn't drink green tea.  Green tea can chelate iron out of your system.  I know because I have high iron (hemochromatosis) and I drink green tea to bring my iron levels down.  It can make you anemic.
Yes that is way too low.  Some studies indicate you need a ferritin level of 70 or above for hair growth.