General Health Community
Anyone else have a problem with reaccuring canker sores?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else ever has problems with getting canker sores constantly and if you ever figured out what was causing them and if anything ever helped to help the pain and stop them from reoccuring so frequently? I know theirs no cure and the cause is unknown but I have been getting them a lot more frequently then usaul. A little over two weeks ago I had several and now It feels like another small one is starting to develop under my tongue. They say it can be cause from family history but no one in my family really gets them. I do have stomach problems. Actally last year I was severely sick lost a lot of weight and finally got to see a GI doctor and he did a HIDA scan and they said my gallbladder didnt function correctly so I had my gallbladder removed in Feb. Before the surgery my regular doctor also said my b12 was also very low which was making me even more sicker and was part of my reason for loseing so much weight so I started getting b12 injections because she said since I have stomach problems my body couldnt absorb the b12 properly. Since surgery I still take b12 pills but not everyday because Im not sure if I still need it since I had surgery but the canker sores seem more frequently like once every month to even 2 weeks. I know b12 deffiencies can cause them as well as stomach problems but I thought me taking b12 would help by now and my stomach problems still exist but Im nowhere as sick as I was and I gained the weight back. I use mouth wash and brush my teeth daily. My dad has crohms disease and my mom has acide reflux and neither one of them really have a problem with canker sores so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what I could do or advice on how to treat and prevent them? Another thing thats off topic is I have been having a problem with my lips feeling dry. I have to put vasiline on them a few times everyday. This has been going on for years yet nothing helps. I asked my doctor about it she just said to try something similar to vasaline it didnt make a difference. Anyone know what can cause this? or what I could use to stop my lips from always feeling dry?
eat a lot of cultered yogurt
give this a try, you will be able to reduce the number of canker sore outbreaks you experience or even eliminate them altogether.
First and foremost, eliminate refined sugar from your diet. Sugar reduces the germ-fighting capability of white blood cells so they can’t fight micro-organisms associated with canker sores effectively It's hiding in some very unlikely places including fruit juices claiming to be “all natural, canned soups, and even packaged breads. You can use raw, uncooked honey, molasses,100 percent pure maple syrup, or the herb stevia. All of these items are available in natural food stores. should consider food allergies.
But many people are surprised to learn that food allergies can be much more subtle than that, causing all sorts of seemingly unrelated health problems including canker sores.  
once your food allergies have been identified, you can almost always desensitize yourself to the culprits so that they can be re-introduced into your diet. You will need the help of
a good physician trained in these sorts of procedures, though. For a referral to one in your area, contact the American Academy of Environmental Medicine or the American
College for Advancement in Medicine.
There are a number of different strains of the herpes family of viruses, some of
which cause common illnesses like chicken pox, shingles, and canker sores. The amino acid arginine encourages the growth of the herpes virus, so cut back on foods high
in arginine like grains, seeds, beans, nuts, and chocolate.
try it out for a while to see if your outbreaks decrease. If they do, save your chocolate indulgences for special occasions.
there are some foods you should consider eating more of to reduce outbreaks of herpes related canker sores. Lysine is an amino acid that discourages the growth of the herpes virus, so you may want to increase your intake of lysine-rich foods like beef,
pork, chicken, fish, and most animal proteins. If you’re a vegetarian, or just prefer not to eat much meat, taking lysine supplements can also be effective.
there are several nutrients that can help. Iron, folic acid, vitamin B12, and zinc can all aid in preventing canker sores. Iron deficiency can trigger an
outbreak, so you should have your doctor check your iron levels. If they are low, I suggest daily supplementation with iron. Folic acid is an important nutrient for maintaining good
oral health in general. You can also find folic acid mouthwash products in your local health food store. Zinc stimulates the immune system by promoting
the ability of white blood cells to fight germs, like the herpes virus.
recurrent canker sore outbreaks, I suggest the following  dosage guidelines (but you should talk to your personal physician to determine the best amounts for you): 30 to 60 milligrams of iron daily; 3 to 5 milligrams of folic acid daily taken along with 2,000 micrograms of vitamin B12; and 30 milligrams of zinc picolinate daily.
For periods of severe herpes-related outbreaks, I recommend 2,000 milligrams of lysine, three to four times daily taken in between meals; 500 to 600 micrograms of selenium daily; and 10 to 15 milligrams of lithium daily. (Both selenium and lithium significantly interfere with herpes virus self-reproduction.) Vitamin C should be taken as well, in approximately the same amounts as lysine. lithium is very hard to find,
Check with your local natural food store or compounding pharmacy,
For long-term prevention of canker sores, I suggest taking 2,000 to 3,000 milligrams of lysine daily in between meals, along with smaller amounts of the nutrients mentioned
above. When taking lysine, also take an equivalent amount of vitamin C.
Try going to drhyman.com., he's a functional medical doctor that has found answers for himself and thousands of patients in very simple ways. Maybe your body needs to be balance. I'm not trying to be giving you a short answer but I have found so many answer to health issues through this web site. I couldn't have done it by myself.
FEVER BLISTERS, IS WHAT I ALWAYS CALLED THEM. I USED TO GET THEM ALL THE TIME.. EVERYTIME I TURNED AROUND.. CUT DOWN ON SODAS, AND ANY HIGH ACID THINGS YOU CONSUME. I TAKE PEPCID ANTIACID PILLS EVERY DAY. 40 MG. FOR ME. MY ACIDITY IS ALWAYS REAL HIGH AND IT WOULD CAUSE ME TO GT THOSE SORES. TAKING THE ANTI ACID PILLS... I HAVENT HAD ANY IN A LONGGGG TIME... HOPE THIS HELPS...IT DID ME.
Canker sore is due to deficiency of vitamin B-2.