General Health Community
Barium test and cardiac arrest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Barium test and cardiac arrest

My mom had 2 instances in which she completed a barium test and in an hour she stopped breathing and her heart stopped.  The first time the barium test was given as on an outpatient bases.  She completed the test with no problem but in an hour she fainted off, heart stopped beating and she stopped breathing. She was rushed to the medical center.  She had foam in her mouth as though she had a seizure.  At the hospital, they revived her and put her on the ventilator.  She was found to have pneumonia and low protein level.  The CT scan and MRI showed no signs of stroke or brain injury.  She stayed in the hospital on antibiotics for 26 days.  On the day she was to be discharged, the medical center gave her a barium test to test her swallowing.   The test was uneventful.  In an hour or so, her IV catheter was removed and she fainted off, heart stopped beating and she stopped breathing.  Since she was in the hospital they called a code and she was revived.  After being revived, she started having seizures or a lot of involuntary movement of the right arm, slight movement in the left arm and heavy movement in her mouth area.  The CT scan shows nothing.  Her heart is fine; she is breathing thru a ventilator but strong, but she continues to have seizures and her blood pressure is extremely low.  Her blood pressure increase after given medication.  The doctors are puzzled.  Someone said that it may be the vague vein but the doctor does not think so.  He is lending more toward a stroke but has no sign of a stroke.
Also, before the incident, my mother complained of feeling high, problems breathing and feeling extremely fatigued.  She had numerous nightmares and was sometimes unable to determine what was real during the initial wake-up period.
Any thoughts!!  Are the any resources I can utilize that may be of assistance?  Does this sound familiar?
What you are getting from the hospitals and physicians is what is called "hearsay". The chances are likely you have not been told everything.  This not to say they have been negligent, but it does mean they are likely concealing some factor that they have considered. You require to access all the hospital and nurses records, by a subpoena duces tecum, if necessary, and depose everone involved in the situation. Your resource is your attorney.
Before she was given barium the second time why did she not inform anyone prior to administration about the first incident with the barium?  After the first incident it should have been documented in her medical records as an adverse reaction and not to be administered to her again.  I think she might have either has an allergy to the barium or the barium is exacerbating an underlying condition she has.  For heaven's sakes that was one of the reasons she was admitted to the hospital in the first place.  All I know for sure is whoever ordered the test with the barium the second time and the person who administered it=BIG MISTAKE!

Secondly, I would be talking in length with the physician(s) who is managing her care and ordering her tests/procedures with her permission or if you are power of attorney.  You can request to review her medical record.  I would do that first prior to going legal with the situation if that is the route you wish to take.  

Keep us posted.
Having had some insignificant experience with these matters, this is a situation involving a major potential tort action. And hospital records have a way of disappearing and being altered. In the past medical records with my signature on it were altered and my signature forged in a homicide case. This is a case for an attorney from square one. It should start with a simple request for all records submitted through an attorney. Then, if records are not produced a subpoena duces tecum will be required.