General Health Community
Blood pressure surges at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Blood pressure surges at night

I have a problem with sudden surges in my blood pressure at night. This has happened twice or rather on a month since January, once on the 2nd and once last night. I fall asleep and then wake up suddenly feeling weird, then I feel an overwhelming sense of heat/burning across my neck, back of my arms and chest followed by an increase in blood pressure and pulse. It doesn't last long, but happens many times an hour for a few hours. When it's all over I end up having diarrhea for the remainder of the night. The next day I have internal shakes, but no other lasting symptoms. I went to the ER the first time and they did heart and blood tests and said it was because I did a stretch of midnights that my body was not used to, but last night happened for no reason. I have not worked a midnight shift since the first time this has happened, so that no longer can be blamed as the problem. The feeling is very scary and I do not have insurance to get this looked into further. Does anyone else have this problem or know what could cause this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Generally blood pressure is low in the night and high in morning. But in few instances it can be high in the night. The reasons for a spike in blood pressure levels at night can be due to loud noises of traffic which can cause the level of blood pressure to rise .In hot weather the blood pressure falls but there is a marked increase in the level of systolic blood pressure at night. A person with restless Leg Syndrome has involuntary and unconscious movement of the legs which can cause a marked increase in the level of blood pressure. A high blood pressure in the night can increase the risk of congestive cardiac failure. It is best to consult a physician. You may need antihypertensives.Avoid stress and take adequate rest. Keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!