General Health Community
Bruised ribs

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Bruised ribs

How long does it take to heal bruised ribs?  Are there activities that I shouldn't do?  The pain is intense, from under my arm across the top of my breast/chest,  I can't bend, lift or move with out  pain.  It also hurts to breath deep.
Liza
Your rib cage is attached by cartilage at the sternum. Over time calcium and bone forms over those connections. A hard enough impact will loosen this growth. That in turn allows the cartilage to move after years of not. There are many nerves there. It took me almost 3 months to recover from my incident. Hope that helped.
Avatar n tn
I play football and Ive had bruised ribs.... It took me 6 months to recover... You should just take it easy for a month or so
Avatar n tn
Thanks- I think-  6 MONTHES!  Ugh!  When does the intense pain go away?  Which pain meds work the best?  When can I engage in normal activities?  Liza
In my case the pain lasted six months, but it was greatly diminished after three months.

Try asking your doctor about use of a transdermal lidocaine patch over the bruised area. You cut a little piece, but don't wear it more than 12 hours out of the day.