Aa
A
A
Close
Bruised ribs
How long does it take to heal bruised ribs?  Are there activities that I shouldn't do?  The pain is intense, from under my arm across the top of my breast/chest,  I can't bend, lift or move with out  pain.  It also hurts to breath deep.
Liza
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your rib cage is attached by cartilage at the sternum. Over time calcium and bone forms over those connections. A hard enough impact will loosen this growth. That in turn allows the cartilage to move after years of not. There are many nerves there. It took me almost 3 months to recover from my incident. Hope that helped.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I play football and Ive had bruised ribs.... It took me 6 months to recover... You should just take it easy for a month or so
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thanks- I think-  6 MONTHES!  Ugh!  When does the intense pain go away?  Which pain meds work the best?  When can I engage in normal activities?  Liza
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
144586 tn?1284669764
In my case the pain lasted six months, but it was greatly diminished after three months.

Try asking your doctor about use of a transdermal lidocaine patch over the bruised area. You cut a little piece, but don't wear it more than 12 hours out of the day.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
General Health Community Resources
Top General Health Answerers
Blank
Gemfly