General Health Community
CBC abreviations and results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

CBC abreviations and results

I just got a copy of my recent CBC and there are a few things I can't figure out. What do these mean?

ATLYM
MONOM
WCOM
RCOM
PCOM
BAND

I've never seen these particular abbreviations before on a CBC...well except for band (not an abbreviation though).

ATLYM - AT may stand for atypical, LYM most likely stands for Lymphocytes - a type of white blood cell. Atypical lymphocytes are seen in various non neoplastic conditions, classically in infectious mononucleosis, toxoplasmosis, CMV infection, and viral hepatitis.

MONOM - Most likely monocytes - type of white blood cell.  There is also a test called Mono - M which detects heterophil antibodies which only appears during Epstein Barr Infections. Infectious mononucleosis (mono) is the most common disease caused by Epstein Barr Virus.

BAND - immature neutrophils (type of white blood cell).

WCOM - White cell count?

RCOM - Red cell count?

PCOM - Platelet count?
Hi overit4now,
It is hard to read abbreviations the ATLYM may be lymphocytes, Monom, monocytes, Bands are a type of white blood cell that looks like a band.  I don't know what the WCom is maybe white count and RCom Red count/? If you have any other information please send it.
The results list-
WBC
RBC
HGB
HCT
MCV
MCH
MCHC
RDW
PLT
Dtype

All of which I fugured out then below are listed

NEUTM
LYMPH
ATLYM
MONOM
WCOM
RCOM
PCOM
BAND

The first two I figured out. after that I am list test showed a star next to the ATLYM indicating out of range. It is only 1% where the norm is 0 so I was trying to see what that might mean in terms of my ongoing health issues. I was guessing the COM might be short for composite or something.
It sound like it could be atypical lymphocytes at 1% instead of the normal range 0. Atypical lymphocytes are non malignant white blood cells. Atypical lymphocytosis develops when these lymphocytes react to an antigen. An antigen is a foreign protein found on pollen, pet dander, bacteria, viruses, fungi and donor tissue including blood. There a lot of infections, medications and auto-immune disorders that trigger atypical lymphocytes. You should ask your doctor to explain the significance of it to you. Were your other results in the normal range? I can go through the list as to what each cell type may mean or what the abbreviations are short for. BUt if they were normal that is good.
mkh9

Thank you for your thorough explanation. I've been having a bunch of health issue the past 5 months I am hypothyroid (autoimmune type) all of these are new and came on in Oct.  Asthma (seems better now), reflux (doesn't respond to PPI's much), dyphagia, odynophagia, mostly on going low fevers, chest pains (they think from esophageal soams). Allergy testing came up with only dust mite allergy no food or environmental allergies. In Dec. I had an endoscopy with a balloon dialation (there was a stricture). This didn't help. Biopsies came out negative cancer and esinophilic esophagitis GI suspects motility disorder. Took a month to get in with the specialist. Then another for tests. Just had edoscopy (showed possible signs for gastritis, esinophilic esophagitis and looked suspicious for Celiac (although I was neg. for wheat allergy?), motility test, 24 ph test and barium video esophagram.  A basic metabolic was run and a CBC with diffential. I can't get into to the doctor for follow up another month and I am trying to put the pieces together in the meantime or least compile a comprehensive list of questions. Also recent ANA was positive but only 1:40 speckled. I am worried about Lupus, MS, diabetes and Celiac (I'm Italian no wheat wouldn't work).

So blood tests results are-

NA 138  range(136-145) MMOL/L
K      3.8        (3.5-5.1) MMOL/L
Chloride 102    (98-107) MMOL/L
CO2 29          (21-32) MMOL/L
Glucose 116*  (70-99)- MG/DL - I had berry juice blend shortly before test. Would this account for high result?
BUN   7         (7-18) MG/DL
Creatine   0.8 (0.6-1) MG/DL
CA    9          (8.5-10.1) MG/DL
Anion Gap 7.4  (3-12)

CBC

WBC 7.8   (4-11) K/UL
RBC  4.52  (3.9-5.4) M/UL
HGB  12.7  (11.7-15.5) G/DL
HCT   37.7  (35-47) %
MCV  83     (80-100) FL
MCH  28.1  (27-33) PG
MCHC 33.7 (31-36) G/DL
RDW 12.8  (<16.4) %
PLT   287   (150-400) K/UL
DTYPE      Automated

NEUTM 57  (49-64) %
LYMPH 36  (26-64) %
ATLYM* 1   (0-0) %
MONOM 3  (0-12) %
WCOM Normal
RCOM Normal
PCOM Normal
BAND   3  (1-10) %

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hi and thanks for all your information. I'm am not a doctor but I do have a background as a clinical lab scientist so I can answer some things and give an opinion. I think the 1:40 ANA test is considered negative because the titer is too low to be positive so I don't think you have Lupus. The symptoms you have told me don't suggest MS (common MS symptoms are tremor, fatigue, dizzyness, weakness in one limb, loss of vision in one eye, so I don't think so. I'm sure they will try to rule it out anyway. Maybe you should try Zantac 500 two times a day. I would ask the doctor if this is ok. You can call them and talk to the nurse and tell them the PPI doesnt' work. If your allergy test for celiac was negative then I don't see how you can have it but I don't know  all about it. Yes I would imagine not eating pasta as an Italian would be almost impossible , I'm not Italian but I love pasta and it is a big part of our diet too. The blood sugar would have definitely been affected by the fruit drink or any sugary drink. It has to be fasting. You could also do a hemoglobin A1C also fasting. So that has to be repeated if you want to check for diabetis. I suspect the chest pain may be from the esophageal reflux etc. as I have reflux too and occasional chest pain and stomach pain. The fever wouldn't come from hypothyroidism, but I don't know the difference in regular and autoimmune hypothyroidism. I hope this information helps.
mkh9