Can Rheumatic Fever return?
My 83 year old mother had Rheumatic Fever in 1950 leaving her with some heart valve damage which has not limited her lifestyle.  About 6 weeks ago she had the flu and continues to be weak from the affects.  In recent days she says that the flu has settled in her joints and muscles and she is in alot of pain.  I told her she needs to see her doctor but she says she is trying to hold off until her appointment next month.  She did not see a doctor with the flu.

I asked her if she ever told her doctors that she had had rheumatic fever.  She said she has always put it in her records, but the doctors have never seen the doctors read those records nor have they asked her about it.

Can my mother be suffering from a flareup of rheumatic fever and how important is it that I insist she see a doctor before she plans to?  I do not live near her.