General Health Community
Can a CT scan show a hernia?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can a CT scan show a hernia?

I went in for a ct scan of the abdomen/kidneys with contrast. It was ordered because my pcp found blood in my urine and wanted to check my kidneys out.

While talking to the ct tech I was telling him i've been having this weird feeling around my belly button. like a streching pinchy feeling. not really painful but just a slight irritating feeling. I've had 3 surgeries envolving my belly button an endo laparoscopy, tummy tuck and gallbladder With the gallbladder being most recent.

Well the tech said it sounded like a hernia (i'm thinking it probably just some scar tissue from my healing gallbladder surgery 3 months ago) and that this ct would show it.

Now my question is. How does a hernia show on a ct scan with contrast? Especially if i was sent for my kidneys not to check for a hernia? could they still see everything in my stomach? or just the kidneys?

and what other things can cause that weird strechy pulling feeling in my belly button?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1268057_tn?1379102055
Abnormalities are detected on a CT whether the physician was looking for them or not; any abnormality can show up.  The CT was ordered of the abdomen/kidneys, not just of the kidneys.

I had a CT of the abdomen about 2 years ago b/c of abdominal pain.  A small umbilicus hernia was noted (small hernia involving the "belly button")  I was surprised I had one and that is not what my physician was looking for.  
Blank
Yes a CT scan can show a hernia.  Cts of the abdomen show from the top of your kidneys to your bladder and everything in between!  If you are thinking you have a hernia another test that can tell you if it is a hernia is a upper gi series!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
General Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...