Can a CT scan show a hernia?
I went in for a ct scan of the abdomen/kidneys with contrast. It was ordered because my pcp found blood in my urine and wanted to check my kidneys out.

While talking to the ct tech I was telling him i've been having this weird feeling around my belly button. like a streching pinchy feeling. not really painful but just a slight irritating feeling. I've had 3 surgeries envolving my belly button an endo laparoscopy, tummy tuck and gallbladder With the gallbladder being most recent.

Well the tech said it sounded like a hernia (i'm thinking it probably just some scar tissue from my healing gallbladder surgery 3 months ago) and that this ct would show it.

Now my question is. How does a hernia show on a ct scan with contrast? Especially if i was sent for my kidneys not to check for a hernia? could they still see everything in my stomach? or just the kidneys?

and what other things can cause that weird strechy pulling feeling in my belly button?
Abnormalities are detected on a CT whether the physician was looking for them or not; any abnormality can show up.  The CT was ordered of the abdomen/kidneys, not just of the kidneys.

I had a CT of the abdomen about 2 years ago b/c of abdominal pain.  A small umbilicus hernia was noted (small hernia involving the "belly button")  I was surprised I had one and that is not what my physician was looking for.  
Yes a CT scan can show a hernia.  Cts of the abdomen show from the top of your kidneys to your bladder and everything in between!  If you are thinking you have a hernia another test that can tell you if it is a hernia is a upper gi series!