General Health Community
Can i get the flu jab with a sore throat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I have a slightly dry/sore throat, and im 19 weeks pregnant and due to have the flu vaccine today, am i ok to go ahead?
First off, Congratulations on the little one!!  I'm sorry I'm a big late to this thread.

I completely understand your concern about the flu (especially swine flu) - and especially with you being pregnant.  You definitely want to do everything you can to protect both yourself and your baby from harm.

As you've already had the shot, this of course is a moot point - but in case you need/want to have any other vaccines.  I might not be correct in this, but I have heard/read that so long as the vaccine you are receiving is a "dead" vaccine, meaning they don't use live particles of the illness they are vaccinating you against, then it shouldn't be a problem if you have a slight illness when you get the vaccine.  If, however, the vaccine is made from a LIVE vaccine, it's best not to get it when your immune system is compromised with ANY type of illness, especially an infection.  This is because your body could be overwhelmed with no only th eillness that it's already fighting, but also with the addition of the live vaccine, which, of course, your body HAS to fight against to build up the immunity.

Again, obviously, this all also can/will change if you're on any medications that lower your immune system such as corticosteroids for asthma, arthritis, etc. - or by other illnesses such as cancer, HIV, etc.

Again, Congrats on the little one and I hope your throat is feeling better!
Personally I think you need to do your research on those vaccines. Im against them. Youbhave to be carefull what you put in your body because it doesnt just belong to you. If you do decide to get it im sure having a sore throat wont effect anything.  
I am getting the flu vaccine to protect my unborn baby. If i was to get swine flu, me and my baby would be VERY poorly. So its not as if im just trying to avoid getting the regular flu!! The benefits definately outweigh the negatives.
If you do decide to get the vaccine make sure it is a SINGLE dose vaccine, and not from a MULTIPLE DOSE vial.  Insist on this! All the major problems with the vaccines come from the multiple dose vials that have a mercury preservative. The singe-dose vaccines have no toxic preservative.  The multiple dose vials last many months, however the single dose is only good to be stored for a few weeks, so physician's and hospital prefer the multiple dose.
Im from the UK, and the who-har isnt so against the vaccine here! The vaccine i had was the 3 dose, this was because it protects from the 3 strains of Flu, with Swine Flu (H1N1) being by far the worst, and most harmful if i was to get it. All the professionals involved, highly recommended i had the vaccine. IF i was to contract the flu, or swine flu, that would be fatally harmful to my unborn baby, and possibly myself!

Im totally happy with my choice of going ahead, my question was simply if it was ok to have it whilst having a mildly sore throat, that is all.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/24/more-people-getting-flu-shots.aspx?fb_ref=fbLike&fb_source=profile_oneline

I think this article and the videos will help you make your decision.
I will not get the flu shot, but, that is my personal decision. I would ask your physician about it and the effects on your unborn baby, maybe even ask the pharmacist as well.
I have already had the shot, and im happy with my decision!! I have done my research, i asked my GP, my midwife and a nurse, they ALL suggested i had the flu shot! This WILL protect my baby, not having it WILL put my baby at risk if i got swine flu. Maybe you should all read this!!!

http://www.****.com/404_is-it-safe-to-get-a-flu-shot-when-im-pregnant_2488.bc

Thanks for your reply :)

I did ask the nurse doing the injection if it was indeed ok to go ahead with having a sore throat, she insisted it was. The vaccine i had was DEAD, no live in it what so ever (The nasal sprays here have the live vaccine in them, which are obviously not recommended for pregnant women.) I was fine with the vaccine, no symptoms, just a slighty dead arm for a few days lol. The sore throat went away a few days ago too, so all is well there.

Thanks so much for your reply! We need more ladies on here like you.. :D
You're more than welcome and thank you for your kind words.

I'm glad you dind't have any trouble with teh vaccine.  I, myself, am not able to take the flu shots - I've had them a couple of times and have always had bad reactions to them, so now I avoid them completely.  I do, however, get the pneumonia vaccine, but that one is good for I believe 5 years, so it's not an every year thing.  This year was my year to get it and I had the sore arm for a couple of days after it too - I guess that's pretty common, especially if you've unintentionally tensed up before the shot and they really get the muscle.

Also very glad to hear your sore throat went away.  I hope the rest of your pregnancy is full of good health.
i had the flu jab!! would rather have that then me and my unborn baby fall seriously ill!! well done to us louise lol x