General Health Community
Can't stop clearing my throat ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Can't stop clearing my throat ...

I cannot stop clearing my throat. It has progessivly gotten worse. It started a couple months ago and I was just clearing my throat a few times an hour and now I probably clear my throat three or four times a minute. I just can't do it once but every clearing every time I do it. It feels like I won't be able to breath if i don't do it and when I get the urge and try not to I start panicking and getting anxious. I have read it could be allergies so I started taking Claritin and it hasn't helped. I have noticed that I'm really concentrating on something I won't do it as often so I think it is partly or mostly in my head. It is starting to affect my work and am self-concious that I'm irritating my fellow co-workers.

Is there anything I can do or anything I can take to stop from doing this and if it's mental is there any therapy or hypnosis to stop it?
It sounds like some of it could be due to a habit of clearing your throat. I know sometimes I will do that and then keep doing it and before you know it, I feel like I constantly have something is my throat. Also, could be some inflammation, have you asked your doctor about this?
Nervous tics. Trust me,
I know!!!
HI Ryan,
Your symptoms could be tons of things. I don't think it is in your head or a nervous tick. Please go to a Gastroenterologist to check you for acid reflux. Yes, you can take something over the counter and you might experience some relief. However, acid reflux, if this is what you have, should be taken seriously because (untreated) it can lead to stomach/esophageal cancer.
Please see a Doctor.
It's acid reflux.  Note carefully when you eat a lot, or quickly gulp down a snack or drink, and you'll see it worsens after those events.  
Keep water with you at all times and sip it.  Also, chewing gum is a miracle treatment that will slow down your throat clearing, because it makes you swallow regularly.  Finally, begin to train yourself to eat slowly, chew more, and don't eat crap like nachos or hot dogs without lots and lots of water.  I've also found that beer can trigger this problem, just stop drinking it.  you'll live, and live better.