Chronic Anal/Rectal area pain
About a week ago, I was awoken completely by surprise from sleep by an extremely painful anus. It REALLY hurt. All I could do was sit on the pot and PUSH for about 20 minties. But nothing came out: no stool, blood, or mucous. The pain subsided and I returned to bed.

The next day, the anus pain was still gone but was replaced by a chronic dull ache inside my rectum/anal area that is exacerbated by sitting or a bowel movement. It is chronic, ever-present, and extremely worrisome. Its not too bad in bed so I can sleep with it, but once I get up and start moving around...it comes right back. It is changing my entire experience of life by inducing chronic pain, and altered body functions (my bowel movements are different).

I've researched a little and learned that Proctalgia Fugax is the episodic inflammation of the anus, and Levator Ani Syndrome is the chronic pain in the butt.

So hey, does anyone else out there have anymore information about this? I saw my GP who gave me a rectal exam that was OK...prostate good, no hemorroids, no fissures, etc...he referred me to a proctologist who also check out my rear and only found that my pelvic floor appears to drop too much when I push. I informed him that I have a herniated disc with mild midline canal stenosis at L2-L3...he thinks that may have a bearing on it'

So he referred me back to my GP to be referred to a neurologist to check out the nerves.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, I have experianced this pain in the past but I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome is there a chance you have this? My doctor had given me medicine to relax the anus which i was supposed to take at night and always forgot. But to help you the pain subsided on its own after a couple months, the main cause was because i was under high stress. Hope this helps :)