Cut finger causes severe, incapacitating pain in hand
~6 wks ago, my 30 yr old son cut his middle finger accidentally, quite deeply (<1/4") but did not seek medical attention (too busy, etc).  It bothered him and bled but seemed to be okay after 2 wks.  A few days later, his hand became extremely painful - strong, sharp pain, keeps it raised to his chest and cupped.  He does not use the hand at all and claims it seems the vessels and veins in the hand have been "torn."  ?????  His hand is swollen and bluish at times... Frankly, I just DO NOT KNOW WHAT to think, he uses his job as an excuse to not seek medical treatment but really cannot/does not use the hand and seems to be in constant pain...  Help..??!!
He has to go to the ER!!
Hi Suzyq120,

Your son needs to go to the ER IMMEDIATELY!!! It sounds like a really nasty infection has set in. He needs to get on medication as soon as possible. The longer he lets this go on, the more at risk he is for eventually losing the finger or having the infection spread to the rest of his body WHICH IS LIFE THREATENING. If he won't go himself, please pick him up and take him to the doctor. He will thank you later. Good luck.
Thanks for your responses, the diagnosis was a complete surprise, RSD.  Beginning the exploration of therapy options and the long term implication of this debilitating symdrome...