General Health Community
Cyst removal from head - Why so many stitches?

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I had a cyst surgically removed from my head the other day and the incision is a good four inches long.  Is this normal?  I though a procedure like this requires a small incision and minimal stitches (I got 9!).
It's normal for medium size wounds. In fact, the 9 stiches is quite less in quantities.
Ok--- first of all... you should ask your doctor to find out for sure what's really goin' on with it.... However, some cysts might be larger than expected, or may have matter inside them (gross, i know!).  Sometimes they can get intertwined with nerves and are harder to get out.  Some can simply be closed up just with medical...surgical... superglue... i guess u could call it. (Dermabond is one name u might have heard of before?) ... however there may have been more to it than met the eye to begin with.  Cysts can be tricky like that!  But for sure ask your doc whats up with it! And if it's in visible sight and might be a prob. try using the mederma scar stuff... it works well! Good luck!