General Health Community
Danger from blood donation?

Join discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations/vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Danger from blood donation?

I recently went to the New York Blood Center to donate blood. The phlebotomist seemed very inexperienced and nervous. He obviously missed the vein as it was very painful and blood did not really flow out freely. This is the first time this happened and I am a regular blood donor. My arm bruised terribly and swelled up. The discoloration has gone away and the swelling gone down (2 weeks later) but it still is painful to the touch and feels like there is a rock in my vein---more like a piece of gravel.  Any suggestions or recommendations? All responses will be greatly appreciated.      Thanks,,,,,,,,,   Henry
Hello~The bump you feel could just be some scar tissue from the rough blood draw, I am sure it is nothing to worry about. Normally, when a person has a bad draw like that, they put ice on the area when they get home and all is well, however, since it has been a while, I don't know if ice would help or not, but, you could sure try it.

Susie