General Health Community
"Dark Spell" moments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

"Dark Spell" moments

For as long as I can remember, I have been constantly afflicted with periods of "darkness" that can sometimes render me incapable of doing anything. When these happen, my senses dull, and it's hard for me to actually focus on what's going on. It seems more like the things that are actually happening are memories than they are events. There is also always a sort of pit in my stomach, a feeling that is nothing I have felt on any other occasion. When it gets really bad, I can barely stand, move, talk, or listen, so I just have to sit down and wait for it to pass. Normally they don't last any more than ten minutes, and the average one is less than that. They seemed to be triggered by seeing or thinking certain things. Being inside a jewelry store, for example, is a very big trigger for me. I've tried to do research on what it could be, but I just don't know. My guess is that it's neurological, because during them I sometimes "remember" things that I don't think ever actually happened to me.
     That sounds scary and stressful. It is the kind of thing that can be difficult to diagnose. In my opinion, it could be neurological, psychological, or both. I do wonder why being in jewelry stores is a trigger. It's tricky to try and figure out these things on your own. If it's psychological, it could be a bad idea to dig into it alone. If you have been, or do explore that, stop and talk to a doctor if it becomes too stressful or gives you more spells.

So, if you can, set an appointment with your primary care doctor (they'll probably have to give you a referral to see a neurologist, if they think it's appropriate). The primary care doctor may suggest seeing a counselor of some kind. If so, try to get as much information about a possible counselor as you can by asking your doctor, family, and friends for recommendations, and looking for online recommendations. There are some really great doctors and some really not-so-great ones; for this, you want to see a Great one. If possible, see a psychiatrist or psychologist instead of a general therapist or counselor. Psychiatrists and psychologists have better training.

I hope you're able to find out what's happening!

You should see a neurologist
I agree with Happyhorney that you should see a neurologist.  it sounds like you are having Absent Epilepsy seizures.  They are somewhat common among young people and most outgrow them.