General Health Community
Did my husband hurt his spleen?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Did my husband hurt his spleen?

Hi, my husband is a delivery driver for a large mattress company. Yesterday he went with a co-worker to throw away some used adjustable beds. As they were taking one out of the truck they lost their grip and it "fell" on him, mostly hitting his upper side abdomen region. He got some really nasty large bruises including the uppermost one having broken the skin. It's hard to describe in words but it looks really bad. The only symptoms he felt yesterday were soreness in the bruised area but today he started getting nauseous, diarrhea, an overall sick feeling, and "achy". It is nighttime now and he is still feeling nauseous, having sick feeling, and achy. When I looked it up online about injury and nausea, I saw something about a potential spleen injury and when I looked up where the spleen was exactly located (because I wasn't 100% sure) it's located exactly where he got hurt. It's hard for me to gage the other symptoms exactly because he already has issues with certain areas. One is left shoulder pain but he already has an injured shoulder from a recent injury, the area where the spleen is located would hurt but he hurts anyway from the massive bruises, back pain but he has an old back injury which hurts him frequently anyway, and potential abdomen swelling but my husband has a belly anyway so that would be hard to see. So unfortunately I can't tell from the symptoms and wouldn't know the difference. He thinks that maybe he has a stomach bug or ate something bad. What are the chances of him getting sick a day after he gets hurt around where the spleen is located? Maybe it is a coincidence but I don't want to take a chance. His boss asked him after the injury if he wanted to see a dr (which work would take care of because it was on the job) but he said no at the time. I would like him to go in somewhere but I don't know how soon he could get in if he doesn't go in for an emergency. Does anyone think it could actually be the spleen? Would symptoms show the next day? Is this something we should wait out? Or should he get in to see someone ASAP? If he did hurt his spleen it sounds pretty serious. Could it be something else related to the injury? If so, what? My husband has a tendency to brush things off and push himself so really need to find out because he won't himself. He is only 32 and a father, I don't want anything to happen to him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.