General Health Community
Dry cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Dry cough

Can surgical clips left inside during laproscopic removal of gall bladder cause  dry cough due to irritation  - even years after the urgery
An x-ray would confirm the clips.  but most likely your cough is due to reflux or GERD.  After gallbladder surgery, we usually have "stomach" problems due to acid reflux or heartburn.  So sorry.  I had my gallbladder out many years ago and a little over a year ago I had a fundiplication (stomach stapled to my esophagus).  Supposed to relieve me of the GERD - well, guess what - it helps - but very little.  I still have heartburn and reflux every day and sometimes at night.  - So sorry.  Your doctor will probably put you on Nexium or Prilosec to help you.  Sometimes it helps.  Apple cider vinegar in a glass of water helps sometimes too as does baking soda.  Depends on your stomach and your body.
Thanx for your response, but no that has not been the problem. Like you said acid reflux was the first thing that was suspected, but has been ruled out.
Well, so that's not it.  Maybe some DGL licorice root would help with the cough.  Certainly, you could check with the doctors to see if they left clips or staples in there.  - but it's worth a try of licorice root capsules.  I guess you chew them 15 minutes before meals.  The licorice not only helps a cough, but it helps detoxify the liver, supports the adrenal glands, balances the hormones and is an anti-inflammatory.  (Sounds like I need some,too.)  It is also used for combating viral hepatitis.  - The book The Natural Physician's Healing Therapies also suggests taking potassium and drinking lots of water with it. -  Hope this remedy helps you.  It can be so annoying to have a cough for so long!  
The gallb ladder surgery was done in 1982 and has been a great success. The clips were left behind purposely as part of the operation. The cough is not chronic. It first came in 1984, then in 2004 and now a month ago. Each time it lingered for a month or so. What prompted my question was that all the testing that we did did not conclude in any particular cause of the cough, so I was thinking could it be due to the clips that some how irritate occasionally? Thanks for trying to help.  I guess we don't always resolve an issue. It may be nothing, it may just be some viral, because antibiotics or nything over the counter never worked.
Thanks for posting, funky.  Sometimes even GERD or sour stomach or reflux and heartburn can cause a cough.  - I cough, too even though I had a surgery (fundiplication) to help my reflux/GERD.  Yeah, I guess doctors can't fix everything.   I'm going to try the licorice.  Can't hurt.
As you have been getting a dry cough due to irritation only from time to time, it is very likely that this is because you have had a virus or bacteria of some sort or simply been in contact with an allergen.  Your body's natural instinct is to cough to get rid of the irritant.  This could be from anything from bugs, dust, smoke, allergies to animals, plants, moulds, feathers chemicals and so on.  Even a dry atmosphere can cause a dry irritating cough.

Antibiotics will only work if the problem is caused by bacteria.
Warm water with honey and lemon is good to soothe your irritation in the throat or a warm blackcurrant drink like Ribena (if you are not allergice to blackcurrants!)

Keep a note when you next experience a dry irritating cough, to find out what the trigger is.   It is only then that you will get to know what is causing the irritating dry cough.