General Health Community
Eye care help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Eye care help!

Hi. I am 14 years old. I am absolutely terrified of going blind from retinal detachment. Could you explain what a light flash looks like? Is it like a circle of light that just stays there or is it like a camera flash with no after image? I am really scared. Thanks!

I have been to an Optometrist, who told me all of the tissue in my eye was fine. Should I see an Opthamologist?

PS. I didn't know what topic to put it under.
If your optometrist said all is ok but your having light flashes did you mention it to the doctor? If not tell him about this for sure. I dont think you  have anything to worry about as i have some light flashes sometimes. Just last week i was looking at some blue christmas lights at night and later for about 10 minuits i was seeing blue flashes out of the corner of my eye. I think its normal but if you worried do mention it to the doctor.
The most common source of flashes would be migraine.  

To keep migraines away and also protect your eye health, take supplements.  Whole-food supplements are best.  Go to the healthfood store and have them help you find one that is suitable for you, and make sure it contains lutein for eye health.  

Take a separate magnesium supplement every day and I think your migraines will go away.  
I don't exactly have light flashes, I am just curious to know what they are.
Unless you have had an accident with a head injury, chances of someone your age having RD is very low. Flashing lights could be from anything, including migraines. You can have an optical migraine without having a headache, which most people grow out of, as they get older. If you have flashing, followed by dark spots covering your vision in one spot, then you need to be seen ASAP. Otherwise, I think you need to relax about this and try not to worry so much.