General Health Community
Falling out of bed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Falling out of bed

I have had fibromyalgia for about 20 years after an incident that gave me Post Traumatic Stress, the Ross River Fever followed by glandular fever.I am currently on Neurontin 600mg 4 times a day, mobic amd Cybalta 1 x 60mg. Sleep has always been a major problem and I have occassionally fallen out of bed but in the last 2 days I have fallen out of bed 3 times and I am hurting myself. I also sometimes just drop. A bit hard to explain, I have no warning and don't feel groggy or anything afterwards. I was on Avanza for sleep but all it did was give me horrific dreams, so I gave it about 6 months and still the same problems so I took myself off. But now I am back to very patchy sleep, I am tired during the day. I have gone to sleep twice at the wheel of the car and beleive that I was already dreaming before I fell asleep. But this bed falling has me tossed. It has happened before but nothing like now and I am going to injure myself soon.
if you are falling out of bed then i suggest you try a bed guard rail on either side of your bed. they can easily be attached to your bed and taken off again. they are specialy designed so kids cannot fall out of their bed but adults also use them if they are having unexplained problems falling out the bed like you. you could also put something on the floor so if you fall you will land on something soft and you will not hurt yourself. i also suggest you talk to your doctor about this. or if you live in england, wales, scotland or ireland then speak to your local nhs for advice.
Thank you both for your comments. I have put something on the floor but the rail is a great idea. Don't know why but didn't give it a thought. Also many thanks to the Doctors comments. You have confirmed what I have been researching and I will be off to the Dr after the Xmas madness has passed. I'm an Aussie
For extra safety I would put some padding on the rail, that way, if by chance when you hit the rail in bed and it becomes dislodged and you fall, it will be padded and the impact upon hitting the rail will not be a hard.  It is highly unlikely that the rail will come out, but better to be safe than sorry.