General Health Community
Fatigue after GI Bleed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Fatigue after GI Bleed

I was hospitalized for a GI bleed from a gastric ulcer which caused acute blood anemia about 4 weeks ago. After I was discharged I started to feel better and get my energy back after 2 weeks. (I received 2 units of blood in the hospital). But, in the past week I have increasing started to get fatigued and only able to do limited min. activities. I also get easily short of breath when I exert too much. I went to instacare and they said my levels were up from when I was in the hospital and they really couldn't explain my sudden onset on feeling lousy again. I had black stools when I went into the hospital, but haven't had any since. I am stumped and frustrated about feeling crappy again and my doctor doesn't really know the cause. At first, I thought it was in my head, but my husband asked me why I was looking pale again. So, I know it isn't in my head. And I eat right and drink a lot of fluids. Any ideas or suggestions out there. Thank you! RK
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
There are many causes of generalized weakness.Anemia, dehydration, hypoglycaemia, kidney disease, hypoelectrolytaemia, hypo/hyperthyroidism; liver disease all can cause weakness and fatigue. Anxiety and depression can also cause generalized weakness and fatigue. Take a balanced diet and take adequate rest. A clinical examination and work up for above mentioned causes may be helpful See a pyhsician.He may further refer you to a specialist depending on the clinical examination findings. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Time to get checked out on your blood-work for a secondary infection I hope it's not, but to be on the safe side. I got MRSA  from the hospital.
Thank you for your response. I have an appointment with the GI specialist next week and I will discuss the options for my illness as you have mentioned. Thanks again, RK
Thank you for your response. I am going to the specialist next week and I will ask him about the possibilities of an infection.
Thanks again, RK