General Health Community
Fatigue after knee surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Fatigue after knee surgery

I had knee surgery five weeks ago to repair a tibial plateau fracture, and I am having nearly identical symptoms.  I started doing PT one week after surgery, and I have excellent range of motion, but I am still under a no weight bearing order.  I have strived to stay active, but I have no energy and even small tasks are incredibly taxing.  I am a very fit, active 23 year old female, and this is becoming worrisome.  My sking often feels very overheated, and is hot to the touch, but I have no fever, and I nap around two hours almost everyday.  I returned to classes last week, and everything from attending lecture and lab, to studying and doing homework drains me completely.  I used to work thirty hours a week and carry a heavier class load with little problem, but now just with classes I find myself feeling impossibly tired everyday.  My surgeon surgeon also dismisses my concerns, but I feel like I've aged fifty years in the last five weeks.  My incisions have healed, and I have very little pain in my knee, but these syptoms (symptoms) remain.

This discussion is related to Fatigue after surgery.
I just joined this discussion board, and I know the post I am responding to is kind of old.  I am 28 and I had the fulkerson knee surgery which is similar to a TTT.  My surgery was 7.5 weeks ago and my pain is manageable but I get really tired and need to sleep.  I finally graduated off of the crutches a week ago and I am walking slowly and only for short distances.  I am also concerned with the fact that I get exhausted and worn out.  This exhaustion is worse the day of and the day after PT because I am now starting new exercises which are reawakening muscles that have been dormant since my surgery.  I attribute this exhaustion to new tissue build-up and healing though I don't know this for sure.  I get so tired that I sleep all night and pretty much all day and I am just dead tired.  I usually have trouble sleeping because its hard to get my leg comfortable because of swelling etc, but I don't think that explains the level of exhaustion I feel.  I haven't talked to my doc about it because like I said, I figured it is just my body trying to heal itself.  I feel comforted that other people seem to share the same experience as me, I just believe that as time goes by, I will get better.  Goodluck everyone.
I had a fulkerson knee surgery 11 weeks ago.  I do PT 3 times a week.  I got off crutches for a second time 2 weeks ago.  This is my second knee surgery in about 5 month range.  So the muscles waking up is hard and painful.  I get tired from what seems like everything.  I stay awake all day but don't want to do anything.  The more I am up the more my leg hurts.  I feel like I have a rod in my leg and it feels like it is going to breakout at any moment. I was told my skin was hyper sesitive. My doctor gave me medication to sleep and that has helped.