General Health Community
Finger Swelling and Turned Blue / Then Red

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

OK, bit worried about this one...

I'm a 31 year old male in generally good health.

I was sitting today when my pointer finger began to feel like it was pulsating. I looked at it at the inside of the middle joint was a bit swollen and I could see the skin had turned a blue color, about the size of a dime. Finger felt kind of uncomfortable, especially when flexing it, but it was not painful.

Over the next six hours or so, the swelling did not really increase, but the blue-ishness did. Maybe the size of a dime or two. It is blue on the palm side of my finger and a bit on the side. Now some seven to eight hours later it appears more like a bruise and on the side of my finger it is a deep red color.

Any ideas what is going on?

Burst blood vessel by the sound of it.  I get that on my inner wrist from time to time and sometimes it is the simplest knock that causes it but it can be quite painful for a while.

Since you posted this a few days ago, I am sure all is well now!
I found on the internet that medical professionals call this Achenbach's Syndrome. It happens to me at least once a year. This month it happened twice to the same joint of the same finger back to back and I am angry about it. Even more furious I am about yet another neglected syndrome of unknown etiology that the same medical professionals do not know how to treat, save for alleviating patients anxiety. I arranged my life around how good it feels for my body to move. Of course I am anxious. I tremble every time when I grab something that a joint in my palm or finger will swell and turn blue. That's no fun. I want the solution to this problem. Not somebody to tell me to rest and try to calm down.
I have had achenbaches syndrome for 4 years now, & I understand the frustration of it as there is no warnings to when the swelling,pain,tightness & bruising will happen, as there is no treatment for this, one doctor I saw a Doctor Layton from the Leeds general infirmary who was looking into this syndrome stressed that it was not dangerous to health however it is uncomfortable and painful for the patient. the only patterns I have noticed these episodes  can be when I am more stressed & uptight, or if I put pressue on the joint or grip certain ways, as painful as it is & alarming I have found that massaging the swollen part to help disperse the swelling and the pain although i will say that is not for the faint hearted as it does hurt but the return to normal of the finger is much much quicker I do hope i have helped in someway the only good thing is it won't kill you
I have had these symptoms for years once or twice a year in mostly my middle fingers.  Recently I had an episode on the inside of my upper calf, appearing exactly the same way it does on fingers.  I find that immediate cold application practically nullifies lingering effects.
Wow...finally a diagnosis with a name!! Many thanks for identifying this as Achenbach syndrome.  I have appt. w/ my physician end of June...I can at least discuss this unnerving condition with him without sounding like a hypochondriac.