General Health Community
Flank pain, abdominal pain,pubic pain...ect

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

I am a 27 year old woman.  Last Thursday I started to feel a strange stabbing feeling in my back on my right side whenever I took a deep breath.  Shortly after it also started on  my lelft side.  I work do liquor promotions so I had a drink a few minutes before.  Later that night I just felt ill and the pain was still there. The next day I still felt a bit under the weather with abdomianl pain that was pretty wide spread and the flank pain I was experiencing the night before.  By Saturday I was feeling a bit better and ended up having a beer with some friends.  About an hour latter I felt abdominal pain again, hot, and dizzy.  I woke up the next morning (Sunday) and went to the after hours clinic.  They took a urine sample and said they think it's the beginging of a urinary tract infection and put me on some sulfa antibiotics.  Since then I still have the occasional back pain and the the abdominal pain is always under the right and left rib cage.  Those pains have not improved since i have started the antibiotics and I am now on day 4. I have also experienced sharp pelvic pain the past few days just above my pubic bone. Oh ya, and heartburn.  I don't know how I forgot to mention that one.  Does anyone have any insight on what is going on??? Can a UTI make me have pain this widespread and not to mention that I am fatigued really bad!  Help someone!!!! It's almost been a week of me feeling like this.
I have pain in the right side, flank and back.  I have a history of kidney stones, but a ureteroscopy/cystoscopy showed normal kidneys.  I've had ultrasounds as well.  I do not have an appendix, or gallbladder.  I do have Crohn's disease, but it has never caused me to have back pain.  My GI says it's the urinary tract, my urologist says it's my GI.  I also recently have been diagnosed with high triglycerides, and type 2 diabetes.  Any ideas on what is causing my severe pain.  I could have sworn it was a kidney stone, but that was negative.  I also have been running a fever of around 100 degrees.
About your UTI yes it can cuase wide spread pain in the abdomen, a UTI is and infection of the unrinary tract which could be you kidneys (left and right of your back below the rib cage). Ureters (tubes of your kidneys that carry urine to the bladder), Urinary bladder (stores urine) and the Urethra (pathway that releases urine out side the body) all of these are locate from the mid back to the pubic region and it is normal to have pain spread through out. The Fatigue is most likely caused by the kidneys are not fully functioning because of the infection, and also becuase of the infection your body is fighting off. Now about the sulfa antibiotics, i assume you are on Bactrim, there are cases of Bacterial resistance, so call your doctor and tell him that the pain is still there and it is not getting better and he may prescribe you a Quinolone (Ciprofloxacin). Hope this helps.