General Health Community
"Fruity"-smelling urine...but I'm not diabetic
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to general health issues, adolescents, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

"Fruity"-smelling urine...but I'm not diabetic

For the past 3 days, I've noticed a strong, "fruity" smell coming from my urine everytime I urinate. Being that I work in healthcare and have encountered this same smell before(in the urine of diabetic patients), I know this could be a possible sign. Yet, I have never been diagnosed as diabetic, nor had reason to suspect that I could be.

But there's another reason for my concern: since the middle of October, I have lost 23lbs......and not because I was trying to(although I needed to). See, I have narcolepsy and require daily medication for it. Well back on October 11th, my doctor changed my medication from Ritalin to Adderall (adderrall), as I wasn't getting the desired effects from the Ritalin. Within 2 weeks of this switch, my weight dropped 7lbs...and has continued to drop at a rate of 2-3 lbs/week on average(from 179lbs in the beginning of October to 154lbs today, 12/22). I've also watched my appetite get smaller and smaller. Not to the point of starving; rather I'm just not as hungry or eating as much as I used to(the most I've been eating these days is 2 small meals and maybe a piece of fruit or granola bar in-between....but not much else). On the flip side, I seem to have a constant "thirst-craving", especially for Diet Coke of all things. Initially, I assumed this was r/t two things: 1)"dry mouth", which is another side effect of Adderall (adderrall); and 2) the air quality in both my house & at the hospital where I work is very dry. (Side note: the doctor who prescribes and monitors my Narcolepsy medication is aware of everything I just mentioned and said I shouldn't worry because these side effects are short-lived and will go away in time. Also, I never experienced any of them while on the Ritalin).

The final thing I wanted to mention is that I've been taking an antibiotic(Augmentin) for a sinus infection since last Friday. And knowing that UTIs and yeast infections can develop as a result of taking antibiotics, I thought maybe I was getting one of them. However, in the past when I've had both vaginal and bladder infections, the odor given off by my urine was strong and foul-smelling......which is nothing like the current smell. And I'm not experiencing any other symptoms which are characteristic of UTIs and yeast infections. I do not have cloudy urine....in fact, it is perfectly clear and pale yellow in appearance. I am not having any vaginal discharge, burning upon urination, urgency or the frequent need to go, vaginal itching or discomfort. And I am not, and have not been, running a fever. Again, my only symptom is this "fruity" smelling urine.

Any ideas on what could be going on? Should I be worried? Should I contact one of my doctors? If so, which one?